Record-Breaking SpaceX Falcon Heavy Launch Aborts at Last Minute
SpaceX is looking to launch both the Falcon Heavy and the Falcon 9 on Thursday after Wednesday's mission was called off
SpaceX had just 65 seconds to go to lift off on what would have been a historic seventh flight for its Falcon Heavy rocket when the company called it all off late on Wednesday night.
The rocket had been slated to launch from Pad 39A at the NASA Kennedy Space Center in Florida at 11:04 p.m. Eastern, but it was scrubbed literally at the last minute. The launch will be re-attempted on Thursday, July 27 at approximately the same time, SpaceX said. It is not clear why Wednesday's launch was called off.
The Falcon Heavy is carrying the JUPITER 3 satellite to space. A communications satellite, the machine is a whopping 10.1 tons and about the size of a bus, according to its operator, Hughes Network Systems, which is part of EchoStar. The company offers HughesNet high-speed broadband internet.
"Since inventing satellite internet and bringing broadband connectivity to remote and rural customers, Hughes has continued to advance our service offerings with more capacity, higher speeds and a better online experience," said Hamid Akhavan, EchoStar's CEO, in a press statement.
"JUPITER 3 represents the next leap in our offerings, bringing HughesNet customers what they have been asking for: more data and higher speeds."
SpaceX's Falcon Heavy launch, if successful, will break a record for the spaceflight history books — it has flown six times so far since being completed in 2018. The launch will livestream on SpaceX's YouTube channel.
SpaceX is also planning a separate launch for a fresh batch of 22 Starlink satellites, the company's own satellite constellation designed to produce high-speed, low-latency internet to anyone with a view of the sky. The launch is currently scheduled for 10:20 p.m. Eastern on Thursday July 27 from the Cape Canaveral Space Force Base in Florida aboard the company's Falcon 9 rocket.
The Falcon 9 launch will be the fifteenth flight for the first stage booster, SpaceX said, and it plans to collect it on one of the company's drone ships.
- SpaceX To Launch Experimental Military Space Plane This Week
- SpaceX Launches NASA Mission To Quadrillion-Dollar Metal Asteroid
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX Strikes Agreement to Launch Critical European Spacecraft
- Musk’s SpaceX Rockets Past Rocket-Launch Industry
- SpaceX, United Launch Alliance Bag Billion-Dollar Space Force Launch Contracts
- NASA, SpaceX Ready Mission to Quintillion-Dollar Asteroid
- Nvidia to Begin Mass Production of AI Chip Designed Just for ChinaBusiness
- Now You Can Play ‘Trivial Pursuit’ Online With an Infinite Number of AI-Generated QuestionsTech
- Samsung’s ‘Ballie’ Is a Rolling Robot Projector That Can Help Control Your HomeTech
- Even Short Droughts May Have Far Worse Consequences Than We ThoughtTech
- OpenAI Slams New York Times Lawsuit, Says Claims ‘Without Merit’Tech
- US Moon Lander: Latest on Peregrine’s Historic MissionTech
- Historic US Moon Lander Back on Track After Experiencing AnomalyTech
- You’ll Actually Be Able to Buy LG’s Transparent OLED TV Later This YearTech
- iPhone Owners Find $92 ‘Batterygate’ Payments in Their Bank AccountsBusiness
- You Can Install This Wireless Wi-Fi Security Cam Over a Mile Away From Your HouseTech
- Samsung’s Biggest CES 2024 Reveals: Transparent Displays, an 8K Projector and a Speaker PaintingTech
- Supreme Court Shoots Down Elon Musk’s X Surveillance CaseTech
