23andMe, the DNA-Testing Company, Blames Its Users for Data Breach - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

23andMe, the DNA-Testing Company, Blames Its Users for Data Breach

Some 6.9 million people's 23andMe accounts were compromised as a result of the Oct. 6 breach

This illustration picture shows a saliva collection kit for DNA testing displayed in Washington DC on December 19, 2018.Eric Baradat/AFP via Getty Images

The home DNA testing company 23andMe has sent a letter to customers whose accounts were compromised in a data breach that states the company is not to blame for the incident.

The letter reiterates the company's position, as previously reported in The Messenger, that a number of users who recycled passwords compromised in other data breaches targeting other websites provided a key for bad actors to gain entry into 23andMe's DNA Relative matching feature and compromise millions of users' information.

By recycling passwords, the company means the common, but inadvisable, practice of using one password for multiple online accounts.

In a letter to lawyer Hassan Zavareei, who is representing 23andMe users in a class-action lawsuit against the company over the breach, 23andMe's lawyers state that "the incident was a result of users' failure to safeguard their own account credentials, for which 23andMe bears no responsibility."

The breach occurred on Oct. 6, 2023. In December, the company admitted that 6.9 million people —half its reported user base— was affected by the incident. All of the people affected had opted in to the service's DNA Relative feature, which links up potential family members based on their genetic information.

The company is facing multiple lawsuits over the data breach that collectively allege it has failed to protect users' information. 23andMe denies this allegation.

Speaking to The Messenger, privacy lawyer Albert Fox Cahn said that pinning blame to users was "absolutely maddening."

"The effort to brazenly minimize the scale of the hack and what each hacked account potentially says about its users is, to me, disingenuous," he added. 23andMe has denied any genetic or health information was compromised in the attack.

Since the breach, 23andMe has instituted a two-step authentication process as the default and asked users to reset their passwords.

Businesswith Ben White
Sign up for The Messenger’s free, must-read business newsletter, with exclusive reporting and expert analysis from Chief Wall Street Correspondent Ben White.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our Business newsletter.