WNBA Expansion to Portland Stalls After Stadium Concerns: Report
WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert noted arena renovations scheduled in the summers, when the WNBA season takes place, as a point of concern
The WNBA has shelved plans to bring an expansion team to Portland after talks stalled, according to The Oregonian.
WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert sent a letter to Senator Ron Wyden confirming the news on Wednesday, saying that Portland had been identified as "an ideal destintation for a WNBA franchise" but that plans had been delayed, per The Oregonian.
An ownership group led by entrepreneur Kirk Brown has been fighting to bring the WNBA back to Portland. Wyden has been pushing the issue as well, while the potential expansion has the support of New York Liberty star Sabrina Ionescu, who went to University of Oregon.
In the letter, Engelbert noted renovation plans at Moda Center, where the Portland Trail Blazers play, as a primary point of concern. Renovations are planned for sometime during the new few summers, but the WNBA season runs from May to October.
Engelbert wrote that the WNBA would wait to come to Portland until the scheduled renovations are settled.
Now with 12 teams, the WNBA peaked at 16 teams in 2002. One of these teams was the Portland Fire, which played starting 2000 before folding in 2002.
The league is hoping to add "a couple of teams" ahead of the 2025 season, with cities like Denver considered as top candidates for expansion. At the beginning of October, the WNBA announced the addition of a team in the Bay area, with the ownership group committing $50 million to expansion.
- WNBA Portland Expansion Fell Through Because of Conflict Between Prospective Owner and Commissioner: Report
- WNBA Teases Expansion With Cryptic Social Media Posts
- WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert Expects to Add Another Expansion Team Soon
- WNBA Golden State Expansion: 5 Things to Know About League’s 13th Team
- WNBA Agrees to Grant Golden State Warriors an Expansion Team in 2025, AP Source Says
- WNBA Expansion Is in the Works, and for the Players, It Cannot Come Soon Enough
- Jim Harbaugh Opens up on Future at Michigan After CFP Title GameSports
- Dolphins’ Raheem Mostert Set a Goal of Being a First-Time All-Pro at 31 — How Is He Making It Happen?Sports
- Girl’s High School Basketball Game Canceled After Yonkers Players Use Anti-Semitic Slurs Against Jewish TeamSports
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Browns Giving Joe Flacco $75,000 Incentive to Not Play Final GameSports
- Jim Harbaugh Advocates for Paying College Athletes Team Revenue Again: ‘There’s No Voice For The Players’Sports
- LeBron James Says His Son Bronny Could Play for the Lakers Right Now, ‘Easy’Sports
- Kentucky Men’s Basketball Survives Near Upset to Florida on Game-Winning 3-PointerSports
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- LeBron James Frustrated By Question About Ricky Rubio’s Retirement After Loss to GrizzliesSports
- Blackhawks’ Rookie Sensation Connor Bedard Put on Injured Reserve with Broken JawSports
- PWHL Check-In: Attendance Record, New York’s Venue Challenge, Physical PlaySports
