Spain’s Coaching Staff Resigns Amid Luis Rubiales Backlash
All members of the coaching and technical staff, except for head coach Jorge Vilda, resigned in a statement a week after Rubiales kissed a player at the World Cup without her consent
Nearly all of Spain's coaching staff have resigned from the national team in the wake of RFEF president Luis Rubiales's conduct, the staff announced in a statement Saturday.
The statement, released by Sonia Bermúdez, coach of Spain's U19-U20 women's team, strongly condemns the actions of Rubiales, the head of the Spanish football federation, and expresses support for Jenni Hermoso.
Rubiales kissed Hermoso without her consent during celebrations for the World Cup, but has since refused to resign. On Friday, members of Spain's women's national team put out a statement, refusing to play until Rubiales is removed.
The only staff member to not resign is head coach Jorge Vilda, who is controversial in his own right and who is very closely tied to Rubiales. In Rubiales's speech to the RFEF general assembly on Friday, where he was expected to resign but instead painted himself as the victim of a witch hunt, he said that he and Vilda had been through a lot together, and that he was planning to offer him a four-year, €500,000-per-year contract.
The coaching staff's statement specifically called out Rubiales for this speech, where he "offered a story that does not reflect in any way what was felt by the aforementioned player, who has expressly stated that she felt like a 'victim of aggression.'" The staff endorsed Hermoso's version of events.
- Spain’s Head Coach Criticizes Rubiales Over Kissing Incident but Doesn’t Resign
- Rubiales World Cup Kiss Timeline: After Three Tumultuous Weeks, Rubiales Resigns
- Luis Rubiales Resigns As RFEF President, UEFA Vice President
- Luis Rubiales Releases Statement Following Ruling By Spain’s Administrative Sports Court
- Spanish Federation President Luis Rubiales Refuses to Resign After World Cup Kiss
- Spain Coach Jorge Vilda Fired Amid World Cup Kiss Backlash
"For all these reasons, the undersigned, in view of the the unacceptable attitudes and statements made by the top leader of the RFEF, have made the decision to make their positions available," the statement read.
- Jim Harbaugh Opens up on Future at Michigan After CFP Title GameSports
- Dolphins’ Raheem Mostert Set a Goal of Being a First-Time All-Pro at 31 — How Is He Making It Happen?Sports
- Girl’s High School Basketball Game Canceled After Yonkers Players Use Anti-Semitic Slurs Against Jewish TeamSports
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Browns Giving Joe Flacco $75,000 Incentive to Not Play Final GameSports
- Jim Harbaugh Advocates for Paying College Athletes Team Revenue Again: ‘There’s No Voice For The Players’Sports
- LeBron James Says His Son Bronny Could Play for the Lakers Right Now, ‘Easy’Sports
- Kentucky Men’s Basketball Survives Near Upset to Florida on Game-Winning 3-PointerSports
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- LeBron James Frustrated By Question About Ricky Rubio’s Retirement After Loss to GrizzliesSports
- Blackhawks’ Rookie Sensation Connor Bedard Put on Injured Reserve with Broken JawSports
- PWHL Check-In: Attendance Record, New York’s Venue Challenge, Physical PlaySports