New York Jets Eliminated From Playoff Contention, Extend Postseason Drought to 13 Seasons
An Aaron Rodgers return is unlikely, as he has said it 'wouldn't make sense' to rush back if the Jets were not alive in the playoff race
The New York Jets (5-9) have officially been eliminated from the playoffs as a result of a demoralizing 30-0 loss to the Miami Dolphins on Sunday afternoon, combined with wins from both the Houston Texans and Cleveland Browns.
This season marks eight straight losing seasons for New York and the 13th consecutive postseason that the Jets will miss, the longest active playoff drought in the four major North American professional sports leagues.
Coming off an encouraging 30-6 win over the Texans last week, and the news that quarterback Aaron Rodgers is expected to be medically cleared this upcoming week, the Jets headed into the game against Miami with optimism, but that hope quickly vanished.
A Rodgers return was likely contingent on a Jets victory, as the quarterback, who is recovering from a torn Achilles suffered in Week 1, has said that it "wouldn't make sense" to return this season if New York was out of the playoff hunt. Rodgers was visibly frustrated on the sidelines on Sunday.
While the 40-year-old has not ruled out a return, he is just over three months removed from his Achilles surgery, and the Jets' depleted offensive line increases Rodgers' risk of another injury.
New York has used eleven different offensive line combinations in 14 games this season due to multiple injuries. On Sunday, the line allowed six sacks, with one sidelining starting quarterback Zach Wilson due to a concussion.
- Aaron Rodgers Wants To Return for Jets, Even If New York Are Out of Playoff Contention
- New York Jets to Be Featured on ‘Hard Knocks’
- Quinnen Williams, New York Jets Agree on Contract Extension
- Aaron Rodgers and New York Jets Agree to New Two-Year, $75M Guaranteed Contract
- Aaron Rodgers Was Hesitant To Return To Jets’ Active Roster: Report
- Aaron Rodgers to Remain on Jets’ 53-Man Roster to Practice, Will Not Play in a Game This Season
The Jets will finish the season with a home matchup against the Washington Commanders before two straight road games against the Cleveland Browns and the New England Patriots.
- Pat McAfee Doubles Down on Feud With ESPN Executive, Referencing ‘Old Hags’ Who Impede Show’s ProgressSports
- Saquon Barkley Wants the Giants to Make an Early Decision About His FutureSports
- Shannon Sharpe Calls Out Jameis Winston for Overriding Coach’s Orders: ‘That’s Why Jameis Isn’t a Winner in the NFL’Sports
- How Ja Morant and the Memphis Grizzlies Can Still Make the PlayoffsSports
- Mikey Williams Leaving Memphis, Entering Transfer Portal with J.J. Taylor: ReportSports
- Best Bets: NBA Monday Night Prop Bets Include HolmgrenSports
- German Soccer Legend Franz Beckenbauer Dies at 78Sports
- Draymond Green Says He Contemplated Retiring After Being SuspendedSports
- Tiger Woods Announces End of Partnership With NikeSports
- Patriots’ Ezekiel Elliott Says Snow Game ‘Kind of Sucked’ After Finally Playing in OneSports
- Bill Belichick Willing to Relinquish Personnel Control, Remain Patriots Head CoachSports
- Washington Commanders Fire Ron Rivera After 4-13 Campaign in 2023Sports
