The NBPA Calls the Orlando Magic’s $50K Donation to Super PAC Backing Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ‘Alarming’
The players association said the team’s donation doesn’t constitute player support for the Florida governor
The National Basketball Players Association said in a statement on Thursday that the Orlando Magic’s $50,000 donation to Never Back Down, a super PAC supporting Florida Gov. Ron Desantis’s 2024 presidential campaign, is “alarming given recent comments and policies of its beneficiary.”
According to Federal Election Commission records, the super PAC received the Magic’s donation on June 26, less than a month after DeSantis announced his bid for the White House.
The DeVos family, a fixture in the Republican Party, has owned the Magic since 1991. Betsy DeVos served as the U.S. Secretary of Education under then-President Donald Trump from 2017–21.
The NBA players association noted that the team’s donation doesn’t equate to player support for DeSantis’s campaign.
“NBA governors, players and personnel have the right to express their personal political views, including through donations and statements,” the NBPA said in a statement. “However, if contributions are made on behalf of an entire team, using money earned through the labor of its employees, it is incumbent upon the team governors to consider the diverse values and perspectives of staff and players.”
New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. took to Twitter Thursday to voice his displeasure.
- DeSantis Slams NBA Players Union Over Criticism of Orlando Magic Donation
- DeSantis Received $50,000 Donation From NBA’s Orlando Magic, Team Issues Statement
- DeSantis Super PAC Calls Nevada GOP Leader a ‘Trump Puppet’
- Head of DeSantis Super PAC Never Back Down Resigns: Report
- Super PAC Backing DeSantis Takes Aim At Trump For First Time In Iowa Ad
- Trump’s Not Broke, DeSantis PAC Drops $3.7M On Canvassing: Takeaways From Latest Super PAC Reports
Nance is not alone among NBA players in his distaste for the Florida governor, who has been criticized for his position on social issues, including the 2022 so-called “Don’t Say Gay” law that restricts classroom discussions about sexuality and gender.
Former Miami Heat stalwarts Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem criticized DeSantis’s policies earlier this year.
Wade, whose daughter, Zaya, is transgender, told Showtime in April that he moved his family to California in 2021 because they thought they “would not be accepted” in Florida.
Haslem, who retired after the Heat lost in the NBA Finals to the Denver Nuggets, told The Boston Globe before Game 2 of that series, “Everybody ain’t down with what’s going on in Florida. People think that because you live in Florida, like you just down with the [expletive]. We’re not. I’m not down with it. I’m not happy about it.”
- Former Falcons DE Osi Umenyiora Defends Saints Touchdown, Refers to 2014 Game Between Arch RivalsSports
- Quentin Grimes, Tyler Myers’ Mother to Watch Sons in Back-to-Back Nights at Madison Square GardenSports
- Pat McAfee Doubles Down on Feud With ESPN Executive, Referencing ‘Old Hags’ Who Impede Show’s ProgressSports
- Saquon Barkley Wants the Giants to Make an Early Decision About His FutureSports
- Shannon Sharpe Calls Out Jameis Winston for Overriding Coach’s Orders: ‘That’s Why Jameis Isn’t a Winner in the NFL’Sports
- How Ja Morant and the Memphis Grizzlies Can Still Make the PlayoffsSports
- Mikey Williams Leaving Memphis, Entering Transfer Portal with J.J. Taylor: ReportSports
- Best Bets: NBA Monday Night Prop Bets Include HolmgrenSports
- German Soccer Legend Franz Beckenbauer Dies at 78Sports
- Draymond Green Says He Contemplated Retiring After Being SuspendedSports
- Tiger Woods Announces End of Partnership With NikeSports
- Patriots’ Ezekiel Elliott Says Snow Game ‘Kind of Sucked’ After Finally Playing in OneSports
