Jets Quarterback Aaron Rodgers Out for Season With Torn Achilles
Rodgers suffered the season-ending injury on the team's first offensive possession of the season; Zach Wilson will step in as starting quarterback
New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers will miss the 2023 season with a torn Achilles, an MRI confirmed Tuesday via ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Rodgers, 39, suffered the left-leg injury on the first drive of Monday’s win against the Buffalo Bills in his first regular season game for the Jets.
Jets head coach Robert Saleh confirmed Rodgers' season-ending injury in a press conference Tuesday, saying that Rodgers will need surgery.
"I feel more for Aaron than anyone," Saleh said in the press conference. "I don't look at it like 'woe is me' here for the organization."
The Jets traded their 2023 first, second and sixth-round picks and their 2024 second-round pick (which turns into their first-round pick if Rodgers plays 65% of the Jets’ offensive snaps this season) to the Green Bay Packers. In exchange, they got Rodgers and Green Bay’s 2023 first and fifth-round picks (in April).
A close up of the play on which Aaron Rodgers’ calf reverberates, and he winds up with what the Jets now believe is an Achilles injury, via @ACLrecoveryCLUB: pic.twitter.com/bcGeWGGiL0
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 12, 2023
New York made the trade after two unsatisfactory seasons from 2021 No. 2 pick Zach Wilson. The Jets have Rodgers under contract for three years. Rodgers is signed for $112.5 million, with $75 million guaranteed.
- Jets’ Alijah Vera-Tucker Out for the NFL Season with Torn Achilles: Report
- Aaron Rodgers Returns to Jets Practice 79 Days After Achilles Rupture
- Aaron Rodgers Announces He Had Surgery to Repair Torn Achilles Tendon
- Jets Quarterback Aaron Rodgers Says He’s ‘Way Ahead’ of Schedule on Achilles Rehab
- Aaron Rodgers Wants to Play at Least Another Two Seasons in NFL After Achilles Injury
- ‘Coach’ Aaron Rodgers Is Staying Close to the Jets as He Continues Rehab, Eyes Return This Season
Wilson played quarterback for the Jets after Rodgers exited Monday’s game. Saleh confirmed Tuesday that Wilson will be starting quarterback for the immediate future, despite reports that the Jets were reaching out to veteran free agent QBs.
Saleh also said that the team has more confidence in Wilson than last year; Wilson was benched in November amid conflict with teammates who thought Wilson wasn't taking proper responsibility for the Jets' losses. Saleh touted Wilson's improvement throughout the press conference, saying that he was "leap years" ahead of where he was this time last year.
"I don't know why people are trying to put an obituary onto our team name," Saleh said.
- Jim Harbaugh Opens up on Future at Michigan After CFP Title GameSports
- Dolphins’ Raheem Mostert Set a Goal of Being a First-Time All-Pro at 31 — How Is He Making It Happen?Sports
- Girl’s High School Basketball Game Canceled After Yonkers Players Use Anti-Semitic Slurs Against Jewish TeamSports
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Browns Giving Joe Flacco $75,000 Incentive to Not Play Final GameSports
- Jim Harbaugh Advocates for Paying College Athletes Team Revenue Again: ‘There’s No Voice For The Players’Sports
- LeBron James Says His Son Bronny Could Play for the Lakers Right Now, ‘Easy’Sports
- Kentucky Men’s Basketball Survives Near Upset to Florida on Game-Winning 3-PointerSports
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- LeBron James Frustrated By Question About Ricky Rubio’s Retirement After Loss to GrizzliesSports
- Blackhawks’ Rookie Sensation Connor Bedard Put on Injured Reserve with Broken JawSports
- PWHL Check-In: Attendance Record, New York’s Venue Challenge, Physical PlaySports