Cameron Johnson Commits to Team USA for FIBA World Cup
Brooklyn Nets wing joins teammate Mikal Bridges, plus Jalen Brunson and Austin Reaves, on Steve Kerr's roster
Team USA’s roster for the 2023 FIBA World Cup is beginning to take shape after Brooklyn Nets wing Cameron Johnson committed to the team on Thursday.
Ten NBA players have now agreed to play in the 32-team tournament Aug. 25-Sept. 10 in the Philippines. Of the 10, only four have been All-Stars, and the average age of the roster is 24.5.
The All-Stars on the World Cup roster so far are Minnesota Timberwolves shooting guard Anthony Edwards, Indiana Pacers guard Tyrese Haliburton, New Orleans Pelicans wing Brandon Ingram and Memphis Grizzlies big man Jaren Jackson Jr.
Joining them are New York Knicks point guard Jalen Brunson, Johnson’s career-long teammate Mikal Bridges, Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard Austin Reaves, Milwaukee Bucks big man Bobby Portis and Utah Jazz All-Rookie center Walker Kessler.
Brunson, Bridges and Reaves had breakout seasons in 2022-23. After helping the Dallas Mavericks make the Western Conference Finals in 2022, Brunson averaged a career-high 24 points and 6.2 assists per game on 49.1% shooting, including 41.6% from three.
Reaves’ 13 ppg on 52.9% shooting and 39.8% from three, followed by a deep run in the playoffs in which he averaged 16.9 points, is enough for people around the NBA to think he can command $20 million per year in free agency.
After being traded from the Phoenix Suns to Brooklyn with Johnson in the Kevin Durant deal, Bridges emerged as a No. 1 option as he averaged 26.1 points for the Nets.
- Team USA Gets 12th Player for FIBA World Cup Roster
- Team USA Trounces Jordan to Win FIBA World Cup Group
- After Stunning Upset, Team USA Can Only Be a Third-Rate Team at the FIBA World Cup
- Team USA Breezes Past Italy Into Men’s FIBA World Cup Medal Round
- Team USA, Led by Anthony Edwards, Cruises Past Greece in Penultimate FIBA World Cup Exhibition
- Spurs’ Wembanyama Opts Out of FIBA World Cup
Team USA has two more spots to fill to add star power and veteran leadership to its young squad before the upcoming festivities, which will mark the first Team USA cycle with former All-NBA wing Grant Hill as director and the Warriors’ Steve Kerr as head coach.
In 2019, Team USA failed to reach the tournament quarterfinals after losses to Serbia and France with a roster that consisted of just six players who have made an All-Star team. The average age of that team was 25.75.
That year, All-NBA players such as Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, James Harden and Damian Lillard withdrew their names from candidacy later in the selection process, while Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook and LeBron James chose not to participate at all.
Unlike years past, Team USA won’t have a tryout camp and will instead select 12 players ahead of time, according to CBS Sports’ Sam Quinn.
- Saquon Barkley Wants the Giants to Make an Early Decision About His FutureSports
- Shannon Sharpe Calls Out Jameis Winston for Overriding Coach’s Orders: ‘That’s Why Jameis Isn’t a Winner in the NFL’Sports
- How Ja Morant and the Memphis Grizzlies Can Still Make the PlayoffsSports
- Mikey Williams Leaving Memphis, Entering Transfer Portal with J.J. Taylor: ReportSports
- Best Bets: NBA Monday Night Prop Bets Include HolmgrenSports
- German Soccer Legend Franz Beckenbauer Dies at 78Sports
- Draymond Green Says He Contemplated Retiring After Being SuspendedSports
- Tiger Woods Announces End of Partnership With NikeSports
- Patriots’ Ezekiel Elliott Says Snow Game ‘Kind of Sucked’ After Finally Playing in OneSports
- Bill Belichick Willing to Relinquish Personnel Control, Remain Patriots Head CoachSports
- Washington Commanders Fire Ron Rivera After 4-13 Campaign in 2023Sports
- Derrick Henry Bids Farewell to Titans Fans After Season FinaleSports
