US, Qatar Agree to Freeze $6 Billion Worth of Iranian Funds
The money was initially set to be delivered to Iran in the exchange for the release of American hostages
The $6 billion in frozen Iranian funds that were set to be released in exchange for American hostages being returned home will not be delivered to Iran following reports of the nation backing Hamas' attack on Israel, according to a new report.
CBS News reported that the United States and Qatar have come to a "quiet understanding" that Qatar will not deliver the $6 billion as originally planned.
This news comes on the heels of Republicans and some Democrats publicly calling for the funds to remain frozen. Republicans had been critical of President Joe Biden arranging the release of the funds when the deal was first announced. Former President Donald Trump has blamed the White House and President Joe Biden for funding the Hamas attack with the deal.
While Iran has publicly claimed it has no part in the attacks that have left over 1,000 Israelis dead and even more injured and kidnapped, Iranian leaders have also publicly praised Hamas for attacking Israel.
The Washington Post confirmed the reporting based on what sources say Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo told House Democrats.
During a press conference Thursday, National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said that “every single dime” of the $6 billion was still in the possession of Qatar.
- McConnell, GOP Colleagues Introduce Bill to Freeze $6 Billion in Iranian Funds
- Vulnerable Dem Senator Facing Reelection Battle Calls for $6 Billion in Iranian Funds to Be Frozen
- US Makes Deal With Iran to Advance Prisoner Swap, Release $6 Billion in Frozen Funds
- White House Calls GOP Claims That Unfrozen Iranian Funds Were Used in Hamas’ Attack on Israel ‘Shameful Lie’
- Senate Panel Holds High-Stakes Hearing Examining Hamas Funding, Iran Sanctions
- House Passes Bipartisan Bill Blocking $6 Billion in Iranian Assets
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- White House Officials Were Not Notified of Defense Secretary’s HospitalizationPolitics
- Ashli Babbitt’s Family Sues Government for $30 Million Over Jan. 6 DeathPolitics
- Trump Fails to Note Jan. 6 Anniversary, Other Than to Call Biden’s Speech About It ‘Ridiculous’Politics
- Jack Smith’s Latest Court Filing Slaps Trump’s ‘Baseless’ Motion to Hold Him in ContemptPolitics
- Vivek: ‘Happy Entrapment Day’Politics
- Trump-Backed Congressional Candidate Labels Jan. 6 Capitol Selfie ‘Peaceful Protest’Politics
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Obama Concerned About Biden Campaign, Encouraged Restructuring: ReportPolitics
- Chilling New Jan. 6 Video Shows GOP Reps Yelling at Violent Rioters Through Broken WindowsPolitics
- ‘Release the J6 Hostages’: Trump Calls for Freeing Rioters on Insurrection AnniversaryPolitics