Trump Says Protective Order Would ‘Impinge Upon My Right to FREE SPEECH’
Trump's attorney also said they would not agree to the protective order
Former President Donald Trump on Monday addressed the Department of Justice's proposal of a protective order regarding his latest indictments on Truth Social, arguing that the move would impinge on his right to free speech.
"No, I shouldn’t have a protective order placed on me because it would impinge upon my right to FREE SPEECH," Trump wrote. "Deranged Jack Smith and the Department of Injustice should, however, because they are illegally 'leaking' all over the place!"
John Lauro, Trump's attorney, said on Sunday they would not agree to the protective order after their attempt to extend the response deadline was denied.
This is the second time Trump has referred to special counsel Jack Smith as "deranged" after calling him names on Saturday while campaigning in South Carolina.
Earlier on Monday, Trump lashed out at Smith calling him deranged while accusing the Department of Justice of "illegally leaking everything."
The former president was indicted last week on charges related to his attempts to remain in power following the 2020 election.
While the indictment notes Trump is within his First Amendment rights, the charges accuse the former president of a conspiracy to commit crimes — including conspiracy to defraud the government, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding and conspiracy against rights.
- Trump Lawyer Alina Habba Accuses Jack Smith of ‘Trying to Be Bit of a Victim’ with Protective Order Request
- Trump Attorney Says He Will Not Agree to DOJ Protective Order
- Fox News’ Jesse Watters Says Trump Would ‘Immediately’ Violate Possible Protective Order
- Judge Denies Deadline Delay for Trump Response to DOJ Protective Order
- Jack Smith: Trump Needs a Narrow Gag Order to Stop His ‘Free Rein to Publicly Intimidate Witnesses and Malign’ Court, DC, Prosecutors
- Jack Smith Requests ‘Narrow’ Gag Order on Trump Forbidding Attacks on Jan. 6 Witnesses
Trump pleaded not guilty to all four counts in the case and a pre-trial hearing has been scheduled for Aug. 28. U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan, who was appointed by former President Barack Obama, will preside over the case.
- Border, Immigration Deal Not Happening This Week, Senators SayPolitics
- GOP Rep. Wants to Impeach Secretary of Defense After Secret Hospital StayPolitics
- Senate Ethics Panel Investigating Menendez, a Top Democrat SaysPolitics
- Congress Demands Accountability From Defense Secretary Over Delayed Hospitalization DisclosurePolitics
- Biden the Attack Dog: President Goes All in Fighting Like TrumpPolitics
- Vehicle Collides With White House Complex Gate, Secret Service InvestigatingPolitics
- Nikki Haley Hits Back at DeSantis PAC Claim Hillary Clinton Was Her ‘Inspiration’: ‘He’s Lying Because He’s Losing’Politics
- Nikki Haley Blasts Biden Over Defense Chief Austin’s HospitalizationPolitics
- Trump Co-Defendant Alleges Inappropriate Relationship Between Fulton County DA Fani Willis and ProsecutorPolitics
- Trump Asks Maine Court to Pause His 14th Amendment Appeal While Supreme Court Takes It UpPolitics
- Freedom Caucus Can’t Stomach Speaker Johnson’s ‘Bogus’ Spending DealPolitics
- Trump-Appointed Supreme Court Justice Don’t Owe Him ‘One Thing,’ Former DNC Chair Donna Brazile SaysPolitics
