Trump Plans to Attend First Week of New York Civil Fraud Trial 'in Person,' Court Docs Say - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Trump Plans to Attend First Week of New York Civil Fraud Trial ‘in Person,’ Court Docs Say

The former president's intention to attend his fraud trial that is scheduled to start on Monday surfaced in separate litigation against Michael Cohen

JWPlayer

Donald Trump plans to attend "in person" at least the first week of his $250 million civil fraud trial in New York that's scheduled to begin on Monday, court documents say.

The former president and 2024 Republican frontrunner's plans were revealed in court documents seeking to reschedule his deposition in a separate lawsuit Trump filed against his ex-fixer Michael Cohen in South Florida.

Trump was supposed to sit for the deposition on Tuesday, but Cohen's attorneys say that Trump's lawyers "requested to reschedule his deposition so that he could attend his previously-scheduled New York trial in person."

"Through counsel, Plaintiff represented that he would be attending his New York trial in person — at least for each day of the first week of trial," Cohen's proposed order for a new deposition date says. "He also stated that, because of the trial, he would be unavailable on any business day between October 2, 2023 and the end of his trial."

Cohen sought to bump the deposition until Oct. 9 and allow the under-oath exchange to take place in New York City. But Trump's attorney, Alejandro Brito, objected to that date, court papers show.

In a phone interview, Cohen told The Messenger that the judge granted his request to push Trump's deposition to Oct. 9 in New York.

"I look forward to seeing him [in court]," Cohen said of Trump.

U.S. District Judge Edwin Torres wrote in his ruling that Trump claimed "it was imperative that he attend his New York trial in person — at least for each day of the first week of trial when many strategy judgments had to be made."

Donald Trump
Former U.S. President Donald Trump leaves Trump Tower on September 6, 2023 in New York City.James Devaney/GC Images/via Getty Images

Trump's counsel did not return a voicemail seeking comment.

Cohen did not comment on whether Trump would follow through on his "claim of his intention to appear in court next week."

New York State courts spokesman Lucian Chalfen confirmed that the courts have been in a "heightened state of readiness" for any threats.

"Our judicial threat unit constantly monitors all forms of media and maintains a high level of situational awareness regarding security for all judges," Chalfen said. "Additionally, Court Officers have been on a heightened state of readiness and officers have been cautioned to remain alert and vigilant both inside courthouses and while on perimeter patrols."

The U.S. Secret Service didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron already found Trump liable for fraud and ordered the dissolution of key companies behind his New York business empire. The trial will determine whether he will pay $250 million in damages, disgorge any "ill-gotten gains," and be barred from ever serving as a director of a New York corporation.

Cohen is listed as one of Attorney General Letitia James' potential witnesses in the civil fraud trial.

Read the order below:

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.