U.S. Secretary of State Warns of 'Likelihood of Escalation' By Iranian Proxies in Israel-Hamas War - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

U.S. Secretary of State Warns of ‘Likelihood of Escalation’ By Iranian Proxies in Israel-Hamas War

The secretary of state said the U.S. is taking precautions to protect forces in the Middle East region and would 'respond decisively if we need to'

Blinken on Sunday expressed gratitude for Cyprus’ efforts in facilitating the transport of evacuees from Gaza after Hamas attacked Israel last month, the Wall Street Journal reported.SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Sunday he's concerned about Iran escalating the Israel-Hamas conflict, possibly by targeting American forces.

The top Biden Cabinet secretary and senior U.S. defense officials have said there is no direct evidence of Iran's involvement in Hamas' Oct. 7 attacks on Israel that left more than 1,400 dead. They have, however, acknowledged Iran is a supporter of the terror group.

A number of Republican lawmakers have pointed blame towards Iran for the attacks, and a Wall Street Journal report published on Oct. 8, citing Hamas officials, claimed Iran was involved in planning the brutality for weeks.

Appearing on NBC's Meet the Press, anchor Kristen Welker asked Blinken if there is "concern" about Iran escalating the current conflict.

"We are concerned. In fact, we expect that there's a likelihood of escalation by Iranian proxies against our forces, directed against our personnel," Blinken replied. "We are taking steps to make sure we can effectively defend our people and respond decisively if we need to."

Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin released a statement on Saturday acknowledging "recent escalations" by Iran across the Middle East. He said the U.S. is taking steps to "further strength" its posture in the region.

Welker also questioned Blinken on Israeli officials reportedly mulling a preemptive strike on Hezbollah in Lebanon, which joined the Hamas attack on Israel by firing rockets on the country.

"The Israelis has been very clear with us and we share this view. No one wants a second or third front, including when it comes to Lebanon," Blinken answered. He added the U.S. will work to "deter" Iran and Hezbollah from entering the current fighting.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.