New York Rep. Anthony D’Esposito Sees ‘Opportunity’ for Santos Expulsion to ‘Set a New Precedent’
The Republican lawmaker believes the measure can reach the two thirds support it needs to pass
Rep. Anthony D'Esposito, R-N.Y., believes a measure to expel Rep. George Santos, R-N.Y., from Congress has enough support to pass.
"I think there is an opportunity for it to pass, because I think we have an opportunity to set a new precedent," the lawmaker told NewsNation's The Hill on Monday.
Esposito led the effort to expel Santos just as The Department of Justice hit the controversial congressman with more charges, which include conspiracy, wire fraud, falsification of records, and more. The lawmaker allegedly misrepresented the financials of his campaign and used donors' credit cards without their knowledge.
Santos, who infamously lied about his work and family history during his campaign, pleaded not guilty to the new federal charges last week.
Esposito said it will be "tough" to get a two thirds majority in the House to expel Santos, but he expects a vote this week.
The New York lawmaker said he spoke with Speaker of the House Mike Johnson, R-La., before introducing the Santos expulsion and the Republican leader told him to do what "you think is right for New York."
- New York Lawmakers To Introduce Expulsion Resolution Against Rep. George Santos
- New York Lawmakers Renew Calls for Santos Resignation, Talk Expulsion
- New York Governor Sets Feb. 13 Date for Special Election to Replace George Santos
- Most Republicans Side With George Santos, Saving Him From Expulsion
- House Set to Vote on Whether to Expel or Keep George Santos
- Ethics Committee Won’t Make Recommendation for House Action on Embattled Rep. George Santos
"[He] made it very clear — he said, 'Do what you think is right and do what you think is right for New York. And like I said, this is not about precedent — it’s about setting a new precedent," Esposito said. "If we could set a new precedent — especially from individuals in the House who have tried to fight the status quo — that the House does not welcome liars, fraudsters and people who have made a mockery of the institution."
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- White House Officials Were Not Notified of Defense Secretary’s HospitalizationPolitics
- Ashli Babbitt’s Family Sues Government for $30 Million Over Jan. 6 DeathPolitics
- Trump Fails to Note Jan. 6 Anniversary, Other Than to Call Biden’s Speech About It ‘Ridiculous’Politics
- Jack Smith’s Latest Court Filing Slaps Trump’s ‘Baseless’ Motion to Hold Him in ContemptPolitics
- Vivek: ‘Happy Entrapment Day’Politics
- Trump-Backed Congressional Candidate Labels Jan. 6 Capitol Selfie ‘Peaceful Protest’Politics
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Obama Concerned About Biden Campaign, Encouraged Restructuring: ReportPolitics
- Chilling New Jan. 6 Video Shows GOP Reps Yelling at Violent Rioters Through Broken WindowsPolitics
- ‘Release the J6 Hostages’: Trump Calls for Freeing Rioters on Insurrection AnniversaryPolitics