McCarthy Appears Open to Taking Speakership Again Amid Israel-Hamas Conflict
The California representative called on the US to 'change its posture' with Iran
Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., on Monday addressed Saturday's attack on Israel by Hamas and seemed to indicate he could be open to taking back the speakership in an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt.
In response to a question about whether he would be willing to become Speaker again after being ousted last week, McCarthy said, "The conference has to make that decision." Reps. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, and Steve Scalise, R-La., are both currently vying for the role.
"Look, whatever the conference wants, I will do," McCarthy said. "I think we need to be strong. I think we need to be united."
Previously, McCarthy said he would not seek the role of Speaker again.
In the meantime, McCarthy said he thinks the U.S. needs to demonstrate long-term support for Israel, aid the country in returning hostages and change its relations with Iran after reports that the country helped plan Saturday's attack against Israel.
"This is directly tied to Iran. We have to change our posture with Iran — no longer appeasement," McCarthy said. "We have to change our demeanor and posture when it comes to sanctions to Iran."
- McCarthy Backtracks On Interest in Sliding Back Into Speakership
- How the Israel-Gaza War Could Return Kevin McCarthy to Power
- Ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy Is Done: Won’t Run Again
- NY Rep. Mike Lawler: ‘Major Crisis’ To Not Have Speaker Amid Gaza-Israel Conflict
- Kevin McCarthy Calls Democratic Leader in Last-Ditch Effort to Save Speakership
- Who Will Replace Kevin McCarthy as House Speaker?
Those efforts could prove difficult if a Speaker is not elected later this week, as Congress could be delayed in its ability to aid Israel, a major U.S. ally. The country was attacked Saturday by Hamas, leaving hundreds dead and thousands wounded on either side of the conflict.
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- White House Officials Were Not Notified of Defense Secretary’s HospitalizationPolitics
- Ashli Babbitt’s Family Sues Government for $30 Million Over Jan. 6 DeathPolitics
- Trump Fails to Note Jan. 6 Anniversary, Other Than to Call Biden’s Speech About It ‘Ridiculous’Politics
- Jack Smith’s Latest Court Filing Slaps Trump’s ‘Baseless’ Motion to Hold Him in ContemptPolitics
- Vivek: ‘Happy Entrapment Day’Politics
- Trump-Backed Congressional Candidate Labels Jan. 6 Capitol Selfie ‘Peaceful Protest’Politics
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Obama Concerned About Biden Campaign, Encouraged Restructuring: ReportPolitics
- Chilling New Jan. 6 Video Shows GOP Reps Yelling at Violent Rioters Through Broken WindowsPolitics
- ‘Release the J6 Hostages’: Trump Calls for Freeing Rioters on Insurrection AnniversaryPolitics