Kate Cox, Texas Woman at Center of Abortion Case, Leaves State to Terminate Pregnancy Legally
'She’s been in and out of the emergency room and she couldn’t wait any longer'
Kate Cox, the 31-year-old Texas woman at the center of an unprecedented challenge to the state’s restrictive abortion ban has left the state to terminate her pregnancy legally.
Nancy Northup, the president and CEO of the Center for Reproductive Rights, the group representing the woman, confirmed the news and said Cox’s “health is on the line.”
"She’s been in and out of the emergency room and she couldn’t wait any longer.”
It is not clear where Cox went to terminate the pregnancy.
The news came as Cox was waiting on a ruling from the Texas Supreme Court over whether she could legally obtain an abortion under the state’s new narrow exceptions to the ban. A judge gave her permission last week but it was later put on hold by the state’s fully Republican high court.
Cox was believed to be the first woman in the country to request permission from a court on the matter since the Supreme Court overturned protections for the medical practice last year in a historic ruling.
- Texas Sens. Cruz, Cornyn Dodge on Abortion Amid Kate Cox Case
- Biden on Texas Abortion Case: ‘This Should Never Happen in America’
- Texas Reported 34 Abortions This Year, Down From 50,000 in 2020
- Texas Judge Grants Woman Permission To Have Abortion in Rare Challenge to State Ban
- Texas Woman Knows Her Unborn Baby Is Going To Die. She Wants The Court To Let Her Get an Abortion
- Texas Supreme Court Vacates Lower Court Order Permitting Emergency Abortion
According to Cox’s suit, doctors told her her baby was at an increased risk for a condition known as trisomy 18, which has a very high likelihood of miscarriage or stillbirth and low survival rates.
Doctors also told Cox that inducing labor or carrying the baby to full term could jeopardize her chances of carrying another child in the future.
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- White House Officials Were Not Notified of Defense Secretary’s HospitalizationPolitics
- Ashli Babbitt’s Family Sues Government for $30 Million Over Jan. 6 DeathPolitics
- Trump Fails to Note Jan. 6 Anniversary, Other Than to Call Biden’s Speech About It ‘Ridiculous’Politics
- Jack Smith’s Latest Court Filing Slaps Trump’s ‘Baseless’ Motion to Hold Him in ContemptPolitics
- Vivek: ‘Happy Entrapment Day’Politics
- Trump-Backed Congressional Candidate Labels Jan. 6 Capitol Selfie ‘Peaceful Protest’Politics
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Obama Concerned About Biden Campaign, Encouraged Restructuring: ReportPolitics
- Chilling New Jan. 6 Video Shows GOP Reps Yelling at Violent Rioters Through Broken WindowsPolitics
- ‘Release the J6 Hostages’: Trump Calls for Freeing Rioters on Insurrection AnniversaryPolitics