Judge Warns TikTok May Be Held in Contempt in Utah Investigation - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Judge Warns TikTok May Be Held in Contempt in Utah Investigation

The social media video app has failed to respond to subpoenas issued by the state of Utah

TikTok is the latest social media company to detail the content moderation efforts it’s taking in the Israel-Hamas War.Matt Cardy/Getty Images

Utah Third District Court Judge Mark Kouris ordered TikTok to comply with subpoenas issued by the state earlier this year or risk being held in contempt of court.

Utah issued the subpoenas in February, requesting TikTok share information about business practices, including if the company shares data with the Chinese government and how it works to prevent nudity and other sexual content.

Utah Solicitor General Melissa Holyoak said those questions have not been answered, according to Desert. Kouris said that the company is "in breach" right now and "they’ll be fined a contempt citation" if they do not respond by the extended deadline.

TikTok now has until Nov. 3 to respond to the first subpoena and Dec. 1 to respond to the second.

This comes on the heels of Utah Gov. Spencer Cox announcing that the state has launched a lawsuit against TikTok, alleging "child addiction harm."

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.