Hunter Biden’s Lawyer Blames DOJ’s Firearms Charges on ‘Political Pressure’ from Trump and MAGA Allies
Abbe Lowell’s comments came in a statement issued shortly after the president's son pleaded not guilty to his latest indictment in federal court in Wilmington, Del.
Hunter Biden’s defense lawyer on Tuesday blamed “political pressure from former President Trump and his MAGA allies” as the reason the Justice Department charged his client with three federal firearms charges.
Abbe Lowell’s comments came in a statement issued shortly after he appeared in federal court alongside the son of President Joe Biden in Wilmington, Del. Hunter Biden entered a not guilty plea.
The lawyer said the pressure from Republicans forced “the Justice Department to ignore the law and deviate from its policies in cases like this one.”
“The only substantive and relevant changes since July, when the US Attorney decided against pursuing these exact charges against Mr. Biden, has been various court rulings undermining the constitutionality of the law at issue here and a coordinated, partisan attack on our system of justice by right-wing Republicans,” Lowell said in the statement.
Special Counsel David Weiss brought criminal charges against Hunter Biden last month for one count of possession of a firearm by a person who is an unlawful use of, or addicted to, a controlled substance; and two counts alleging he made false statements in the course of purchasing the gun.
As a U.S. attorney in Delaware, Weiss's team initially had structured a plea deal with Hunter Biden and his lawyers that involved him entering a guilty plea to two federal tax misdemeanors and an agreement to enter a diversion program stemming from a firearms felony.
- Mark Meadows and Rudy Giuliani Charges Give Jack Smith Pressure Points for Trump Allies
- Hunter Biden Lawyer Withdraws From Case
- Lawyer for Hunter Biden Files Motion to Withdraw From Case
- Hunter Biden Fights Back: How the President’s Son Is Trying to Change His Legal — And Political — Narrative
- Hunter Biden’s Judge Formally Dismisses Old Firearms Charge
- Hunter Biden Pleads ‘Not Guilty’ to Federal Gun Charges
But that plan fell apart during a hearing in July before a federal judge who raised questions about whether the DOJ agreement amounted to a wider degree of immunity from future prosecution for other related potential crimes.
At the time, House Republicans had tried to intervene in the Hunter Biden case and were threatening to launch impeachment proceedings back in Washington, D.C., against his father.
Following the break-down of the plea deal, Attorney General Merrick Garland named Weiss to be a special counsel overseeing the continuing investigation. Then, just days after Weiss secured the gun charge against Hunter Biden, the 5th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals struck down the underlying law that prevents the possession of firearms among unlawful drug users.
Hunter Biden, 53, returned to court in Delaware on Tuesday morning accompanied by Lowell for his first appearance since the plea deal's collapse. The president's son barely spoke during the court proceedings.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Christopher Burke released Biden on Tuesday under the same conditions he faced at the time of the failed plea deal. Among other things, Hunter Biden is prohibited from using controlled substances or possessing weapons, including firearms.
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- White House Officials Were Not Notified of Defense Secretary’s HospitalizationPolitics
- Ashli Babbitt’s Family Sues Government for $30 Million Over Jan. 6 DeathPolitics
- Trump Fails to Note Jan. 6 Anniversary, Other Than to Call Biden’s Speech About It ‘Ridiculous’Politics
- Jack Smith’s Latest Court Filing Slaps Trump’s ‘Baseless’ Motion to Hold Him in ContemptPolitics
- Vivek: ‘Happy Entrapment Day’Politics
- Trump-Backed Congressional Candidate Labels Jan. 6 Capitol Selfie ‘Peaceful Protest’Politics
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Obama Concerned About Biden Campaign, Encouraged Restructuring: ReportPolitics
- Chilling New Jan. 6 Video Shows GOP Reps Yelling at Violent Rioters Through Broken WindowsPolitics
- ‘Release the J6 Hostages’: Trump Calls for Freeing Rioters on Insurrection AnniversaryPolitics