Garland Defends Jack Smith and Trump Probe In First Public Comments Since Indictment  - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Garland Defends Jack Smith and Trump Probe In First Public Comments Since Indictment 

The US Attorney General said he had faith in the 'integrity' of the investigation and prosecution

Garland issued the statement on SundayMANDEL NGAN/AFP via Getty

Attorney General Merrick Garland defended Special Counsel Jack Smith and his classified documents probe Wednesday in his first comments since Donald Trump’s indictment last week. 

Garland said he had faith in the “integrity” of the probe and would let the indictment and future court filings speak for the Justice Department. 

“Mr. Smith is a veteran, career prosecutor. He has assembled a group of talented prosecutors and agents who share his commitment to integrity and the rule of law,” Garland said at an event at Justice Department headquarters.

“Any questions about this matter will have to be answered by their filings in court.”

He added that the department will be monitoring any threats stemming from the investigation and the indictment to “ensure that there are not threats to violence or actual violence.”

Garland’s comments come as the former president has unleashed a barrage of comments directed at Smith, calling him a “thug” and a “lunatic.”

Trump is facing 37 counts in the classified documents probe and pled not guilty Tuesday to all of them in the federal courthouse in Miami. 

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.