EXCLUSIVE: DeSantis’ Secret Invitations for a Wednesday Campaign Announcement
The campaign is intentionally giving false dates to some people to test who would leak details to the press.
The invitation for Ron DeSantis’ de facto presidential campaign kickoff Wednesday in Miami isn’t fancy. And it’s all hush hush.
It’s either word of mouth or a text message. Just don't talk about it if you’ve got it.
The location is pure swank: The Four Seasons Hotel on Brickell Avenue. Suggested attire: “dressy casual resort wear,” according to an invite for the event shared with The Messenger — but only on condition of anonymity.
The schedule: registration at 4 p.m. Wednesday.
- Casey DeSantis Teases Ron DeSantis’ 2024 Presidential Campaign Bid
- ‘Wednesday’ Star Percy Hynes White Addresses Misinformation Campaign: ‘Rumors Are False’
- A lot of jobs were created in November. Why are we still talking about a recession?
- Political earthquake or campaign theatrics? How to read Sen. Kyrsten Sinema quitting the Democratic Party.
- No recession in sight: The economy added 261,000 jobs in October
By the time “the festivities begin” at 5 p.m., DeSantis insiders expect he’ll have his official presidential campaign paperwork already filed. So that will make the campaign officially official.
At that event Wednesday, the campaign is expected to have an announcement as well.
The reason for the Wednesday filing? The campaign paperwork needs to be filed for Thursday, when the invitees are all encouraged to “work” for the campaign after attending a political briefing in the morning.
“When you’re taking people’s credit card numbers for contributions, you need to have an account to send the money,” said one source, speaking on condition of anonymity because sharing even the most basic of information is anathema in DeSantis’s tight-lipped organization.
They’re going to be dialing for dollars, $3,300 per donor, on Thursday, as The Messenger first reported Tuesday.
Another invitee said that his invitation was verbal but he was hesitant to even share details because the DeSantis campaign’s operatives are “leak-testing” by intentionally giving out false dates and information to see if it goes public — and therefore determine whom they can’t trust.
Some sources expect a more formal event will come the following week. (But that’s secret, too.)
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Justice Department Informs Trump Lawyers He’s Target in Classified Documents ProbePolitics
- Biden Vetoes Bill To Overturn His Student Loan Forgiveness PlanPolitics
- Former Trump Official Bannon Subpoenaed in Special Counsel InvestigationPolitics
- Ketanji Brown Jackson Files First Disclosure Report As Clarence Thomas Requests ExtensionPolitics
- Kevin McCarthy’s Victory Lap Quickly Comes to an EndPolitics
- Will the Real Mike Pence Stand Up on the Campaign Trail?Politics
- Trump Team Braces for Federal Indictment as Former Aide Testifies in MiamiPolitics
- Wildfire Smoke Choking Northeast Previews a Potentially Dangerous Summer of Bad AirPolitics
- Trump Labels Everyone Investigating Him ‘Fascists’ in Truth Social PostPolitics
- Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas Again Delays Filing His Financial DisclosuresPolitics
- Missouri Gov. Parson Signs Ban On Gender-Affirming Care For Transgender MinorsPolitics
- LA Times Will Cut 13% of Newsroom Staff Amid Advertising StrugglesPolitics