Convicted Jan. 6 Rioter, Oath Keepers Founder Warns Trump He'll Be Found Guilty in Probe - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Convicted Jan. 6 Rioter, Oath Keepers Founder Warns Trump He’ll Be Found Guilty in Probe

Stewart Rhodes received the longest sentence of any January 6 Capitol rioter, facing 18 years

JWPlayer

Oath Keepers founder and convicted January 6 Capitol rioter Stewart Rhodes warned Donald Trump that he will likely soon be behind bars just like him.

Rhodes was convicted of seditious conspiracy earlier this year and was hit with an 18 year sentence, the longest given to any Capitol rioter. He spoke to The Washington Times about prosecutor Jack Smith's January 6-related probe into Trump from the D.C. Department of Corrections Central Detention Facility, where he is currently incarcerated.

"You’re going to get railroaded. You’re going to be found guilty if you try to go to trial. So everyone’s been demoralized and more likely to take a plea deal and agree to ‘test-a-lie’ against President Trump," Rhodes said in a message to the former president.

Stewart Rhodes, founder of the Oath Keepers, is seen on a screen during a House Select Committee hearing to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the US Capitol, in the Cannon House Office Building on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on June 9, 2022.
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images

Trump is facing federal charges for mishandling classified materials after leaving the White House on top of possible future charges stemming from Smith's probe into January 6.

Rhodes founded the Oath Keepers in 2009 and argued he never entered the Capitol, but was rather convicted on his actions and speech surrounding the riot. The same, he said, will happen to Trump.

"I didn’t enter the Capitol, but I was still found guilty by a D.C. jury of obstructing an official proceeding even though I didn’t even go inside," he said. "And I was found guilty of seditious conspiracy, although they had zero evidence of an actual plan. They just used my speech. It will be the same thing with President Trump."

U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta said in May that Rhodes was giving orders and organizing teams for January 6.

"He was the one giving the orders," Mehta said. "He was the one organizing the teams that day. He was the reason they were in fact in Washington DC. Oath Keepers wouldn’t have been there but for Stewart Rhodes, I don’t think anyone contends otherwise. He was the one who gave the order to go, and they went."

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.