Biden’s Middle East Weekend Diplomacy: Phone Calls With Pope, Netanyahu, Trudeau, European Leaders
Biden spoke with the Catholic Church's leader, along with the prime ministers of Canada, the UK, and other nations about Oct. 7 attack on Israel by Hamas
President Joe Biden spoke on Sunday by phone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, discussed the latest developments in Israel and Gaza with Pope Francis, and convened an afternoon call with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other world leaders on the matter, according to the White House and media pool reports.
Biden also spoke with French President Emmanuel Macron, Germany Olaf Chancellor Scholz, Italy Prime Minister Meloni Giorgia Meloni, and United Kingdom Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, said the White House.
In his conversation with the pope, Biden condemned the Oct. 7 attack on Israel by the militant group Hamas, maintained the need to protect civilians in Gaza amid a humanitarian crisis and discussed his trip to Israel earlier this week. The pair also discussed a desire to avert escalation regionally and to work toward a durable peace in the Middle East, per a readout.
Details were not immediately available concerning the president's phone call with Netanyahu. During his visit to Israel earlier this week, the president affirmed the U.S.' "ironclad" commitment to Israel amid its conflict with Hamas.
The president and Vice President Kamala Harris were also briefed this morning by their national security team on the latest developments in Israel and Gaza.
- Raskin Endorses Biden’s Call for 72-Hour Pause in Middle East
- Pope Francis Says There Is No Migrant Crisis in Europe, Calls on Leaders to Be Charitable
- Biden Joins European Leaders in Statement of ‘Steadfast and United’ Support for Israel, ‘Unequivocal Condemnation’ of Hamas
- What’s Next for Israel and America in the Middle East?
- Israeli Opposition Leader Yair Lapid Calls on Netanyahu to Resign Over Conduct of War
- The Risks of the US Becoming Snared in a Wider War in the Middle East Continue to Grow
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- White House Officials Were Not Notified of Defense Secretary’s HospitalizationPolitics
- Ashli Babbitt’s Family Sues Government for $30 Million Over Jan. 6 DeathPolitics
- Trump Fails to Note Jan. 6 Anniversary, Other Than to Call Biden’s Speech About It ‘Ridiculous’Politics
- Jack Smith’s Latest Court Filing Slaps Trump’s ‘Baseless’ Motion to Hold Him in ContemptPolitics
- Vivek: ‘Happy Entrapment Day’Politics
- Trump-Backed Congressional Candidate Labels Jan. 6 Capitol Selfie ‘Peaceful Protest’Politics
- Vivek Ramaswamy Admits He Doesn’t Know Who Caitlin Clark Is at Iowa RallySports
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Obama Concerned About Biden Campaign, Encouraged Restructuring: ReportPolitics
- Chilling New Jan. 6 Video Shows GOP Reps Yelling at Violent Rioters Through Broken WindowsPolitics
- ‘Release the J6 Hostages’: Trump Calls for Freeing Rioters on Insurrection AnniversaryPolitics