Arlington Cemetery Confederate Memorial to Be Removed After Temporary Pause - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Arlington Cemetery Confederate Memorial to Be Removed After Temporary Pause

A federal judge said arguments nearby graves would be damaged were 'misinformed or misleading'

Workers prepare a Confederate Memorial for removal in Arlington National Cemetery on Monday, Dec. 18, 2023 in Arlington, Va. AP Photo/Kevin Wolf

A federal judge on Tuesday granted the removal of a Confederate memorial at Arlington Cemetery after a temporary restraining order blocked efforts to take it down for one day.

U.S. District Court Judge Rossie David Alston Jr. said he saw "no desecration of any graves" while visiting the site, per the Associated Press, and ruled that arguments nearby graves were in danger of being damaged were "misinformed or misleading."

"I saw nothing to suggest anything was being compromised at all,” Alston said during the hearing, per the Washington Post. "I saw great respect."

Work to remove the memorial had already started on Monday when the restraining order was issued. The lawsuit, filed by Defend Arlington, argued that the U.S. Army would "desecrate, damage, and likely destroy" the memorial.

Following Tuesday's ruling, a cemetery spokesperson said the Army plans to resume removing the memorial immediately.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.