A bill pending in the Alabama state legislature would, if passed, prosecute people who receive abortions for murder or assault, depending on the circumstances.
Filed by Republican Rep. Ernie Yarbrough, HB454 would add "an unborn child from the moment of fertilization" as a possible victim of assault and homicide to state law.
Prosecutors would treat those cases "the same as prosecutions of homicide or assault of a person born alive," the proposal states.
However, some exemptions are provided for cases where abortion is necessary to protect the life of the mother, or when injury or death is caused by domestic violence or rape.
- Will women in the US be prosecuted for abortion now that Roe is overturned?
- Preteen Who Allegedly Shot Sonic Employee with AR-15 Charged with Murder
- Lizelle Herrera’s arrest in Texas is not unique — and could get much more common
- Third-Graders Would Be Trained for ‘Battlefield Trauma’ Under New Texas Bill
- Cardiologist Charged With Drugging or Sexually Assaulting 10 Women He Met on Dating Apps
Under state law, Alabama prohibits nearly all cases of abortion, except for instances when the procedure is required to save the life of the mother.
Yarbrough's bill follows claims from elected officials that the state would not seek to prosecute those who receive abortions, AL.com reported.
Confusion ensued earlier this year though after state Attorney General Steve Marshall said in January that women could be prosecuted for terminating pregnancies via medication. But Marshall ultimately changed his position to say that only providers would face legal consequences.
According to AL.com, Yarbrough's bill is currently with the House Judiciary Committee for discussion. From there, lawmakers can decide whether it should advance to a vote on the House floor.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Wildfire Air Pollution Levels Among Highest Ever in U.S. HistoryNews
- Kellyanne Conway Predicts Cornel West’s Run is Major Threat to BidenNews
- Ukraine Rushing Drinking Water to Residents After Dam CatastropheNews
- Fox News: Tucker Carlson Breached His Contract with New Twitter ShowNews
- New York Air Quality Hits Worst Level of Any Major City in the WorldNews
- Newly Discovered Dinosaur Species in Utah Believed to Be 99 Million Years OldNews
- Canadian Wildfires: How They Started and When the Smoke Will ClearNews
- Father of 4 Dies After Saving Son From Rip Current on Daughter’s BirthdayNews
- Juarez Offers to Pay Half the Cost of Bus Tickets Home for Migrants Gathered ThereNews
- NYC Suing 30 Other New York Counties Over Refusal to Take MigrantsNews
- Wildfires Increase Heart Attack Risk, Other Cardiovascular ConditionsNews
- Pride Month Plans Trigger Violent Brawl and Arrests at California School Board MeetingNews