West Virginia Guards Accused of Beating Inmate as They Moved Him Through Jail
37-year-old Quantez Burks died after officers allegedly beat him while he was handcuffed, according to an indictment
A federal jury on Thursday indicted six former jail guards who were accused of beating an inmate last year and then trying to cover up his death, prosecutors said.
The six guards — identified as Mark Holdren, Cory Snyder, Johnathan Walters, Jacob Boothe, Ashley Toney, and Chad Lester — were charged with the 2022 death of Quantez Burks, a 37-year-old inmate at the Southern Regional Jail in Beaver, located in southern West Virginia, according to the Justice Department.
Five of the guards were correctional officers and one was a lieutenant.
In March 2022, Burks, according to the indictment filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, was subjected to “unreasonable force” by the six officers, which led to his death.
Burks allegedly was assaulted by Snyder and Holdren after he tried to leave the pod he was in, the indictment says. Then Snyder, Holdren, and Walters allegedly beat Burks in an interview room, according to the indictment, and again while he was handcuffed.
The indictment accuses Boothe and Toney of failing to intervene in the alleged physical assault.
- Tennessee Prison Guards Indicted in Inmate’s Death Allegedly Beat Another Inmate Just Days Before
- New York Prison Guard Accused of Forcing Inmate to Perform Sex Act, Threatening to Plant Contraband
- Inmate Claims He Was Sexually Assaulted by Inmates, Guard at SC Jail, Then Returned to Same Dorm Where It Happened Again
- Texas Jail Was ‘Place of Torment,’ Former Inmates Allege in Lawsuit
- 7 Jail Inmates Hospitalized After Suspected Jail Fentanyl Overdoses
- Former Inmate Settles Lawsuit Against Jail After Self-Gouging Eyes in Psychotic Break
The five officers, along with Lester, the on-duty lieutenant at the time, were also accused of lying to investigators and covering up the incident.
In a statement, West Virginia Department of Homeland Security Secretary Mark Sorsaia expressed his sympathies for the family of Burks.
“We have no tolerance for abuse of any kind to be inflicted on inmates that are housed in our state facilities and we are committed to the safety, quality of life, and to the well being of those in the care of the legal system in our state,” Sorsaia said.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews
