Video Shows Israeli Soldier Tossing Stun Grenade into West Bank Mosque During Call to Prayers - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Video Shows Israeli Soldier Tossing Stun Grenade into West Bank Mosque During Call to Prayers

The 18-second video was shared by a Hamas-affiliated Palestinian news outlet and quickly fueled anti-Israel sentiments online

JWPlayer

An Israeli soldier caught on video tossing a stun grenade into a West Bank mosque during a daily call to prayers has been suspended by the Israel Defense Forces, as footage shared by a Hamas-affiliated Palestinian news outlet circulated online.

The suspension of the reservist over the incident, which took place approximately two weeks ago, was confirmed by the IDF to Israeli outlet Ynetnews on Saturday.

"This is a serious incident that goes against the values ​​of the IDF," a statement issued to the outlet read. "Upon learning of the incident, the soldier was suspended from his post. He will be thoroughly investigated and [disciplined] accordingly."

The video footage was posted on social media by the Quds News Network, which reported the soldier asked a friend to film the clip as he threw the flash bang grenade.

The 18-second video was reportedly taken in the village of Budrus in the Israeli-occupied West Bank territory during what appears to be an early-morning call to prayers. Ynetnews reported Saturday that the incident took place approximately two weeks ago.

In the clip, the soldier can be seen looking back towards the camera before he activates the stun grenade and jogs toward the door of the mosque.

The soldier is then seen tossing the grenade, which goes off as he casually walks back toward the person holding the camera.

Lights inside the mosque appeared to be on, but it was not immediately clear if anyone was inside.

After the grenade goes off, there seems to be no reaction, from the soldier or anyone else, as the area is quiet in the remaining few seconds of the clip. No apparent damage to the building can be seen.

The short clip quickly spurred a new wave of anti-Israel sentiments online, as the original post amassed more than 2 million views within the first four hours after it was posted.

The video will likely only further escalate the tense and fraught relationship between Palestinians and Israeli setters in the West Bank, which has suffered its worst outbreaks of violence in years since the Israel-Hamas war began last month.

According to the United Nations, 186 Palestinians, including 51 children, have been killed by Israeli forces and another eight have been killed by Israeli settlers in the West Bank.

Meanwhile, four Israelis have been killed in attacks by Palestinians, the UN reported.

Most of the fatalities since Oct. 7 happened during confrontations after Israeli search-and-arrest operations, though others happened in demonstrations expressing solidarity with Gaza and during alleged attacks on Israeli troops or settlers, the UN said.

On Thursday, three gunmen reportedly with ties to Hamas were killed after they opened fire at a checkpoint between Jerusalem and the West Bank's Bethlehem, killing an Israeli security officer and wounding five others.

Earlier this month, the IDF said it opened an investigation into videos allegedly recorded by Israeli soldiers showing themselves abusing and mistreating Palestinian detainees in the West Bank.

The clips show men wearing handcuffs and blindfolds as soldiers kick or stomp on some of them.

Amid the rising reports of violence, President Joe Biden condemned "extremist settlers" last month for "pouring gasoline" on the conflict, which he's repeatedly said should be resolved through a negotiated "two-state solution."

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.