Government forecasters are predicting a near-normal hurricane season in the Atlantic this year.
The season runs from June 1 to Nov. 30.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is forecasting 12 to 17 total named storms. Five to nine of them could become hurricanes, including one to four major hurricanes.
A major hurricane has wind speeds of at least 111 mph and is listed as a category 3, 4 or 5 storm.
- Uncertain 2023 Hurricane Season Ahead Due to Ocean Temperatures
- Climate change is extending natural disaster seasons from wildfires to tornadoes to hurricanes
- Hurricanes Fiona and Ian show how the warming-driven cascade of disasters makes emergency response harder
- Hurricane season’s quiet start turns weird: Fiona, Ian and climate change’s effects on the strongest storms
- Would Starting Hurricane Season Earlier Keep Us Safer?
NOAA’s outlook predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.
NOAA says it has 70% confidence in those ranges.
The upcoming Atlantic hurricane season is expected to be less active than in recent years, due to El Niño conditions in the Pacific Ocean.
The warming of those waters can suppress Atlantic Ocean hurricane activity.
NOAA says that the forecast is for overall storms and not storms that will hit land.
Other storm forecasts differ on how the season might shape up. With one expecting a below-average number of storms and another expecting an above-average season.
The list of names for this year includes:
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Kellyanne Conway Predicts Cornel West’s Run is Major Threat to BidenNews
- Ukraine Rushing Drinking Water to Residents After Dam CatastropheNews
- Fox News: Tucker Carlson Breached His Contract with New Twitter ShowNews
- New York Air Quality Hits Worst Level of Any Major City in the WorldNews
- Newly Discovered Dinosaur Species in Utah Believed to Be 99 Million Years OldNews
- Canadian Wildfires: How They Started and When the Smoke Will ClearNews
- Father of 4 Dies After Saving Son From Rip Current on Daughter’s BirthdayNews
- Juarez Offers to Pay Half the Cost of Bus Tickets Home for Migrants Gathered ThereNews
- NYC Suing 30 Other New York Counties Over Refusal to Take MigrantsNews
- Wildfires Increase Heart Attack Risk, Other Cardiovascular ConditionsNews
- Pride Month Plans Trigger Violent Brawl and Arrests at California School Board MeetingNews
- Woman Glues Eye Shut After Mistaking Nail Glue For EyedropsNews