Ukrainian Village is Shaken as One in Ten Residents Killed by a Single Russian Missile
'From every family, from every household, there were people present at this commemoration,' the interior minister said
One out of every ten people in the village of Hroza in northeastern Ukraine was killed in a single blast Thursday as a hypersonic Russian missile slammed into a pale brick cafe where scores of residents had gathered to honor a member of the community who had been buried that morning.
While Ukraine has suffered numerous mass-casualty attacks since Russia launched its war 589 days ago—a March 2022 strike on civilians inside a Mariupol theater killed an estimated 600—Thursday’s attack may be the most intimately damaging yet, officials said.
An estimated 60 people were packed inside the cafe and grocery that served as the village’s meeting place when the Iskander missile struck, killing 51 — more than ten percent of Hroza’s pre-war population of 500.
Considering the likelihood that many residents fled after the war started, the percentage could be even higher.
"In total, 300 residents of the village, one from each yard, attended the memorial service," Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko told reporters.
- 10-Year-Old Boy Killed as Russian Missile Hits Apartment Building in Northeastern Ukraine
- Precision Missile Strike on Cafe Hosting Soldier’s Wake Decimates Ukrainian Village
- Russian Missile Destroys Ukrainian Hospital After ‘Mass Attack’
- Russian Missiles Hit Odesa For Third Night In a Row, Killing One
- Russian Missiles Kill 4 in Western Ukraine
- Russian Strike on Ukraine Cafe Kills 51, One of the War’s Worst Civilian Attacks
"From every family, from every household, there were people present at this commemoration," Klymenko said. "This is a terrible tragedy."
A 6-year-old boy was among the dead, officials said. Images posted by Ukrainian officials showed numerous bodies laid out in nearby fields and along a country road, some caked in cement dust.
Other bodies, officials said, were impossible to identify.
Regional Governor Oleh Syniehubov called the attack “the bloodiest crime committed by the Russians in the Kharkiv region since the start of the full-scale invasion.” He declared three days of mourning.
Of the seven people taken to regional hospitals, Syniehubov said six were women aged 50 or older and one was a 55-year-old man. Two were in serious condition, he said on Telegram.
Hroza and the surrounding district, located in Ukraine’s northeastern Kharkiv region, were seized by invading Russian forces early in the war and recaptured by Ukraine in September 2022.
"There were no military targets there,” the Ukrainian military said in a statement. “This is a heinous crime intended to scare Ukrainians."
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews
