Travis King Won’t Be Declared Prisoner of War by US: Report
The soldier crossed into North Korea in July
United States officials have declined to classify the soldier who crossed the border from South Korea to North Korea as a prisoner of war, Reuters reported Friday afternoon.
Travis King crossed the border in July, but North Korea only acknowledged it had the soldier in custody Thursday.
According to Reuters, officials who spoke with the outlet on condition of anonymity said the 23-year-old's decision to cross the border himself in civilian clothing disqualified him from POW protections.
King is still classed as an active duty officer and with the U.S. and North Korea still technically at war, as the conflict ended in an armistice and not a peace treaty, POW protections could be considered.
The official who spoke with Reuters said King's status could still be changed.
Under the Geneva Convention, prisoners of war are given strict protections, including that they "must at all times be humanely treated."
- Travis King Could Face 5 Years in Prison for Fleeing to North Korea: What Happens Next
- US Military Won’t Declare Private Travis King a ‘Deserter’ – Despite His Decision to Flee to North Korea
- Who Is Travis King? All About the US Army Private Who Fled to North Korea
- North Korean Prisoner Travis King, Now in US Hands, Expected to Land at Texas Base
- North Korean Prisoner Travis King Arrives in San Antonio 71 Days After his Mad Border Dash
- US Officials Say Travis King, ‘Expelled’ From North Korea, Is Now in American Custody
However, it is unclear how a change in status would affect how Pyongyang treats King.
King had booked a tour of the demilitarized zone through a private company after avoiding his one-way flight back to Fort Bliss, Texas when he sprinted over the border. The Pentagon said he did so “willfully and without authorization."
At a press briefing Wednesday, the Department of State's spokesperson Matthew Miller was asked about whether there had been direct communication with North Korea about King's situation.
"The outreach that we have made to North Korea through diplomatic channels has still not been answered," Miller told reporters.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews