Kentucky Mother Who Fatally Shot Her Young Kids in the Head Says ‘It Was an Accident’: Police - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Kentucky Mother Who Fatally Shot Her Young Kids in the Head Says ‘It Was an Accident’: Police

Tiffanie Lucas, 32, was booked into the Bullitt County Detention Center on Nov. 8 and charged with the murder of her sons, ages 9 and 6

JWPlayer

The 32-year-old Kentucky woman charged with fatally shooting her young children to death in their home last week allegedly told authorities the cold-blooded killings were an "accident," according to a local report, citing police.

Tiffanie Lucas was booked into the Bullitt County Detention Center on Nov. 8 and charged with murder after her sons, Jayden Howard, 9, and Maurice Baker Jr., 6, were found in the family home with gunshot wounds.

On Tuesday, a Bullitt County detective testified in court, sharing more shocking information about the double murder, including that both children had been shot in the head, local station WKYT reported.

The detective explained that Lucas allegedly came out of her house and yelled for help, saying her “kids were dying," which is when a neighbor rushed in and found the two children and allegedly a gun nearby inside a bedroom, per the news station.

The neighbor did what they could to help the children until EMS arrived. The children were both pronounced dead at the hospital.

At the Bullitt County Sheriff’s Office during her interview, Lucas allegedly said, “It was an accident," when asked if she meant to hurt her children, the detective testified, per the news station.

Tiffanie Lucas
Tiffanie Lucas is accused of murdering her two sons.Bullitt County Detention Center

Lucas allegedly made additional comments during the interview, including “I’m in such a bad spot,” and “I’m so stupid," the detective testified, per the news station.

During the three-hour interview, Lucas also allegedly told the detective, “I would never do something like this unless someone manipulated me," he said, as cited by WKYT.

No one else was home at the time of the double shooting, police said.

Lucas' bond will remain set at $2 million, WKYT reported.

Michelle Rice, Maurice’s stepmother, attended the Tuesday hearing and told the news station she did not believe the shootings were an accident.

“So many other people really loved them and could’ve been there to help them,” she said of the boys, “but [Lucas] wouldn’t allow that, she was too selfish. And now they’re gone.”

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.