These Are the Americans Missing or Taken Hostage in Gaza After Hamas Attacked Israel - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

These Are the Americans Missing or Taken Hostage in Gaza After Hamas Attacked Israel

At least 17 U.S. citizens are reportedly missing in Israel — some may have been kidnapped by Hamas terrorists

JWPlayer

At least 17 U.S. citizens remain missing in Israel days after Hamas launched a brutal, surprise attack on the region, sparking a war that had already left 2,250 dead — including 22 Americans — by Wednesday.

Among the Americans reportedly missing are a 35-year-old father of two; a 66-year-old grandmother; two soldiers with the Israeli Defense Forces; a 23-year-old music festival attendee; and a mother and her teen daughter from Illinois.

President Joe Biden has said Americans are likely among the estimated 150 Israeli soldiers and civilians taken hostage by Hamas and other Palestinian militant groups.

National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said Wednesday officials were aware that "a number" of Americans are among the hostages.

Hamas has threatened to execute hostages being held in Gaza if Israel bombs Palestinian civilians without prior warning.

Families of several of the missing Americans on have called on the Israeli government for more information about their loved ones, and pushed for U.S. officials to take more action to secure their safe return.

Here's what we know about the Americans reported missing so far:

Hersch Goldberg-Polin

Hersh Goldberg Polin
Hersh Goldberg PolinFamily Handout

Hersch Goldberg-Polin, 23, was at the music festival targeted by Hamas militants in the Negev desert region, his parents told the Jerusalem Post.

Born in Berkley, California, Goldberg-Polin moved to Israel with his family in 2008 and completed his service in the Israeli military in April.

His father told the Jerusalem Post his son was first a tank operator, but later trained to become a medic, because he found it more interesting.

Goldberg-Polin had just celebrated his birthday days before he was last seen at the rave.

His parents said they last heard from their son on Saturday morning, when they received only two text messages from him saying, "I love you" and "I'm sorry."

The texts and the news of the massacre at the festival, where Hamas forces reportedly killed more than 200 people, has left the family worried and concerned, they told the Post.

“We just want him home and safe,” his father, Jonathon Polin, told the newspaper.

Adrienne Neta

Adrienne Neta
Adrienne NetaAdrienne Neta/Facebook

Adrienne Neta, 66, is believed to have been kidnapped by Hamas from her home in Kibbutz Be'eri on Saturday morning, according to KMPH.

The grandmother, who was born and raised in Fresno, California, moved to Israel in 1981, the news station reported.

"It is our hope, which is a little bit ridiculous, at this stage to say that the optimistic scenario here is that she's held hostage in Gaza and not dead on the street of the kibbutz where we grew up," her son, Nahar, said during a press conference held in Israel Tuesday.

Nahar told Fox News, however, that his family has no "confirmed information" about his mother's whereabouts.

"It is total chaos, but we think she was taken from her home on Kibbutz Be’eri," he said.

A mother of four and a grandmother of seven, Adrienne worked as a nurse for several decades in Beersheba, her son said.

Nahar told the news network he was speaking to his mother on the phone early Saturday when the rocket fire was first reported.

"I left to put my kids to bed," Nahar, who now lives with his own family in California, told Fox. "But my siblings were on the phone with her when the terrorists entered the house and heard her screaming."

Adrienne's kibbutz was held hostage by the terrorists for at least 10 hours on Saturday, according to Fox.

Zaka, the Israeli rescue agency, said Monday it recovered 100 bodies from the kibbutz, but Nahar said his family does not believe the matriarch is among them, Fox reported.

"This is a very tough time for us," he said, "but my mother is a very strong woman and I have confidence that if she is still alive, she will overcome this."

Itay Chen

Itay Chen
Itay ChenCNN

Itay Chen, a 19-year-old U.S.-Israeli dual citizen serving in the Israeli Defense Forces, has been reported "missing in action" since Saturday when he was stationed at the Gaza border, his father told CNN on Monday.

Ruby Chen, who is originally from Brooklyn, New York, but now lives in Israel, said the designation means no one has been able to identify his son as either among the thousands of people hospitalized or among those killed.

"He and his team have basically vanished," the father said.

Ruby described his son, who joined the military a year ago, as being "born and raised on U.S. culture" and a big fan of the NBA.

"He grew up adoring Kobe Bryant, which was a bit difficult for me as I'm a New York Knicks fan," he said.

Itay was reported missing a week before his younger brother is set to have his Bar Mitzvah, the Jewish ceremony denoting the transition from boyhood to manhood, Ruby said.

"We are all praying and hoping that will be able to celebrate this together with our family and with Itay," he said.

Sagui Dekel-Chen

Sagui Dekel Chen
Sagui Dekel ChenHandout

Sagui Dekel-Chen, a 35-year-old father of two with a third child on the way, was among the men of his kibbutz who tried to push back an attack from Hamas before he went missing on Saturday, his father said on Tuesday.

Speaking at a press conference in Israel, Jonathan Dekel-Chen, a U.S. citizen originally from Connecticut, said he and his son live on Kibbutz Oz near the Gaza border, according to New York's Spectrum News 1.

The kibbutz "was destroyed in a barbaric, inhuman attack in which dozens of my friends, my neighbors were killed," Jonathan said. "Many dozens more are either known to be hostages or missing.”

He told Fox the attack began around 6 a.m. on Saturday and several people from the kibbutz were last seen being led away by the terrorist group, but not his son, whose whereabouts were still unclear on Tuesday.

"They vanished without a trace," he said, adding that his son's wife and two children survived the attack.

"Sagui was born in Israel and has lived his life here but has always maintained his U.S. citizenship," Jonathan said. "I hope that it will make a difference and I think it will definitely help if the U.S. government gets engaged."

Judith Tai Raanan and Natalie Raanan

Judith Tai Raanan and Natali Raanan
Judith Tai Raanan and Natalie RaananHandout

Judith Tai Raanan, 59, and her daughter, Natalie Raanan, 18, of Evanston, Illinois, were reported missing Saturday after they were last seen being taken out of a house by Palestinian gunmen, the teen's father told ABC 7 Chicago.

The last message Uri Raanan received from the mother-daughter pair indicated they were hiding in a safe room from Hamas rockets that were fired during the group's initial attack.

Judith and Natalie traveled to Israel from their Chicago suburb last month to visit relatives in the southern kibbutz of Nahal Oz, which was attacked over the weekend, according to family members.

Natalie graduated from Deerfield high School this past spring, according to the school's principal.

The pair's synagogue in Illinois is asking for prayers for their safe return.

"Our broken hearts are with our brothers and sisters during this most painful and devastating time in Israel," the Evanston Chabad posted on Facebook.

Edan Alexander
Edan AlexanderNew Jersey Governor's Office

Edan Alexander

New Jersey native Edan Alexander, 19, of Bergen County, disappeared while serving in the Israel Defense Forces near Gaza, according to NJ.com.

Alexander, who graduated from Tenafly High School last year, was serving with the Golani Brigade 51st Division when Hamas launched its surprise attack, the outlet reported.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy mentioned Alexander during a vigil in Hoboken on Tuesday night, telling attendees he spoke with Alexander's family earlier this week.

“We pray for Edan’s swift, safe return” the governor said. “And we pray for every family in New Jersey — and across the country — with loved ones who are still unaccounted for.”

A spokeswoman for the Tenafly School District told NJ.com on Wednesday: “We, like many others in New Jersey and throughout the country, are part of a community that has been directly impacted by the attacks on Israel.”

”The Tenafly Public Schools’ administration, teaching staff and school counselors are focused on supporting our students and staff during this difficult period,” she added.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.