BT Group, the leading provider of broadband and mobile service in the United Kingdom, is set to eliminate up to 55,000 jobs by 2030, according to CEO Philip Jansen.
In a recent statement to media outlets, including the BBC, Jansen noted that a significant portion of the workforce would be replaced by artificial intelligence and other technologies.
"Big changes can occur with the introduction of new technologies," Jansen explained, indicating that around 20% of the proposed cuts would affect customer service employees, with AI stepping in to compensate for the reduction in human labor.
Jansen also cited the company's ongoing expansion of its fiber network, which would require fewer workers for network maintenance. The majority of the cuts will affect the company's 80,000 employees in the UK, with a significant number of the company's 30,000 contractors abroad also losing their jobs.
- Tech stocks are down, advertisers are nervous, and workers are paying the price with layoffs. Here’s why.
- The Age of Artificial Intelligence Calls for ‘Digital Artisans’
- Top Microsoft Exec Believes AI Won’t Steal Our Jobs, It Will Make Them Better
- The future of AI in music is now. Artificial Intelligence was in the music industry long before FN Meka.
The changes will help cut costs at the multinational, Jansen additionally said, according to CNN.
“By continuing to build and connect like fury, digitize the way we work and simplify our structure, by the end of the 2020s BT Group will rely on a much smaller workforce and a significantly reduced cost base,” he said.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Leaked Emails Reveal Royal Air Force Recruiters Were Told to Reject ‘Useless White Male Pilots’News
- Disneyland Visitor Jumps Out of Splash Mountain Mid-Ride Due to Panic AttackNews
- 53 People Shot, 11 Killed in Chicago’s Violent Memorial Day WeekendNews
- New York Limo Service Operator Sentenced to Minimum of 5 Years for Deaths of 20News
- BU President Slams Students for Heckling Studio Exec During CommencementNews
- High School for Sale on Zillow as 5-Bedroom Home, Asking $60KNews
- Scientists Identify Bacteria Able to Break Down ‘Forever Chemicals’News
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon Discussed Epstein’s Accounts for Years, Former Exec AllegesNews
- NASA’s UFO Task Force to Host First Meeting for Public BriefingNews
- Canadian Wildfires Bring Haze, Air Quality Alerts to United StatesNews
- Wary of Banks, Americans Stash Cash at Home – in the Fridge, Suitcases, Even Toilet Water TanksMoney
- Israel’s Mossad Confirms Ex-Agent Was One of 4 Who Died When Boat Sank in ItalyNews