Son Evicts Elderly Parents From Home They Were Making Payments On for 20 Years - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

An elderly couple from California said their son served them with an eviction notice for the home they have been making payments on for more than 20 years.

Back in 2003, Ismael Ramirez and his wife Angelita enlisted the help of their son when they were looking to buy a home in Fresno as they did not speak English.

When it came time to fill out the contract for the home that they wanted, their son signed as the sole owner of the home, as reported by FOX 26. The couple objected, telling their son that they also wanted to be on the contract, but the son told them that the seller said it was not necessary.

View post on TikTok

"He told us, they told him, it wasn't necessary. And well, since we don't know English, that's where they lied to us," Ramirez told the outlet.

The couple said that they were stunned when they received the eviction notice, which stated that the property owner was selling the home. They later learned that the woman who had given them the notice had become the property’s new owner.

“Every month we were paying $700 a month,” Ramirez told the outlet. “We thought, why did our boy do that to us if he knew the house was ours?”

Because the couple’s name was not on the contract, they said that every lawyer they had tried to see would not take the case.

View post on TikTok

"They left us with nothing," Ramirez told FOX 26. "At the moment, we felt the world was collapsing on top of us. Especially since I can't really walk, and my wife gets depressed and suffers from high blood pressure over the whole situation."

Ismael and Angelita Ramirez sit in two chairs in a home adorned in old furniture.
Ismael and Angelita Ramirez said that they were evicted by their son from the home they had been paying off for more than 20 years. The couple said their son signed as the sole owner in 2003 when they bought the home even though the couple had objected to it.FOX 26

The couple is now staying with their daughter while they try to figure out what to do next. They said they last spoke to their son in April when he told them he was feeling ill. The couple and their children have tried reaching out to the son but have not heard anything in almost five months. They said they have asked police to do welfare checks and are hoping to open up an investigation.

The pair’s story has gone viral on TikTok, with more than 420,000 users hearing about their situation. A GoFundMe has been started for the couple as they said they cannot afford to buy a new house or even rent with their social security income. As of Thursday, the GoFundMe has raised more than $40,000 for the couple.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.