Over the past decade, researchers have traced the migratory patterns of more than 90 great white sharks. These apex predators, they believe, are now at their most populous since the 1940s or '50s - at least off the East Coast, where the study has primarily taken place, as reported by CBS.
"As we bring them back, then we set the ocean back into balance and reset the system so that we have the best health [not only] for the sharks, but for ourselves," Dr. Bob Heuter, chief scientist of the non-profit research organization Ocearch, told the station.
"We're seeing an ocean that's teeming with life," Chris Fischer, founder of the organization, said to CBS.
- Hammerhead Sharks Hold Their Breath to Stay Warm
- Teen Bitten off New Jersey Coast While Surfing Makes 4 U.S. Bites So Far This Month
- 1,400-Lb. Great White Shark Spotted Off North Carolina Coast
- A shark expert tells us to stop freaking out about shark attacks and sightings: ‘If sharks wanted to eat us, they would’
- Fisherman Fights Off Sudden Shark Attack in Hawaii, Gets It on Video
The scientists have unveiled much about the great white shark's lifecycle, except for their mating locations, which remain enigmatic.
Heuter cautioned that with the resurgence of the shark population, important for ocean ecology, humans need to exercise more care in aquatic environments, as advised by CBS. "We should approach water the same way we approach land," he remarked.
Great white sharks, possessing 300 teeth and weighing up to 7,000 pounds, can grow up to 20 feet in length, according to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
Despite Ocearch's promising findings, the WWF continues to list the species as "vulnerable." Sharks often become inadvertent catches of commercial fisheries and targets for sport fishers, states the organization.
In 2022, the Florida Museum of Natural History reported 41 unprovoked shark attacks in the U.S., including one fatal incident.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Murdered Cash App Founder Bob Lee ‘Threw Money Around Like Confetti,’ Says Party Scene Pal (Exclusive)News
- eBay Founder Donates to Defund the Police Causes While Investing Millions in Private Security Start-upNews
- Russia’s Largest Drone Strike on Kyiv Lasted Over Five Hours, Official SaysNews
- British Military Used Shock ‘Treatment’ on Gay Soldiers: ReportNews
- Boston Celtics’ Derrick White Hits Buzzer-Beater to Force Game 7 in Eastern Conference FinalsNews
- At Least 3 Dead, Others Injured in Shootout at Massive New Mexico Motorcycle RallyNews
- Elon Musk Yanks Twitter Out of EU Pact Aimed at Tackling Online DisinformationNews
- Judge Rules School District Can Bar Student From Wearing US/Mexican Flag Sash at GraduationNews
- Man Rails against Possible Short Sentence for Priest He Accuses of Molesting Him as a BoyNews
- Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters Says Nazi-Reminiscent Costume at Berlin Show Was ‘Clearly’ Anti-Fascist StatementNews
- ‘Malibu Sniper’ Convicted of Killing Dad Camping with DaughtersNews
- Florida Residents’ Strategy to Solve Growing Iguana Problem Scares NeighborsNews