Sawmill Where Wisconsin Teen Died in Freak Accident Ordered to Pay $190,000 Fine
The fine comes months after 16-year-old Michael Schuls died after getting pinned inside a wood-stacking machine for 17 minutes
A sawmill in Wisconsin where a teenage employee was killed in an industrial accident in June has been ordered to pay a $190,000 fine for violating child labor laws, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.
Michael Schuls, 16, had been trying to unjam a wood-stacking machine while working at Florence Hardwoods on June 29 when he was pinned inside. Police transported Schuls to the hospital, but he died two days later from traumatic asphyxiation, according to the Florence County Coroner’s office.
"That's caused by entanglement in a machine," Florence County Coroner Jeff Rickaby previously said, as reported by The Messenger.
Surveillance footage of the tragic incident shows Schuls, who had been working alone, stepping onto a conveyor belt to unjam the machine. He had not pressed a safety button that automatically shuts down the machine before doing so. About 17 minutes later, a coworker found him stuck inside.
State and federal labor agencies investigated Florence Hardwoods and determined it violated multiple child labor laws, a Friday press release from the Labor Department said.
- Teen Who Died in Freak Sawmill Accident Saves His Mother’s Life with Organ Donation
- Feds Launch Investigation After Teen Worker Dies in Wisconsin Sawmill Accident
- Labor Department Finds 13 Sonic Drive-Ins Violated Child Labor Laws
- McDonald’s Franchisees Fined for Child Labor Violations
- Iowa Rolls Back Child Labor Protections
- More Child Labor is Not the Answer to US Worker Shortage
The company was previously ordered to include labels and signage specifying children under the age of 18 cannot operate dangerous equipment or enter the company’s sawmill building, the release said. Florence also agreed to never again hire anyone below the age of 16.
“This tragic case illustrates just how vital and urgent it is that the Department of Labor uses every tool at our disposal to combat child labor,” said Acting Secretary of Labor Julie Su. “Any death of a child is too many.”
In conducting their investigation, labor investigators also learned that three children between the ages of 15 and 16 were injured between 2021 and 2022 and that the sawmill employed nine children between the ages of 14 to 17 to “illegally operate machinery."
- Alabama Man Who Stripped Naked and Did Cannonball Into Bass Pro Shop Aquarium Was on Drugs: PoliceNews
- Checkers Ordered to Pay Thousands in Back Wages to Overworked Teens Who Were Clocked Out by Managers While Still WorkingNews
- Mystery Surrounds Abandoned 35-Foot Boat Found Washed Ashore at Los Angeles BeachNews
- Watch: ‘Tidy’ Mouse Helps Retired Mailman Keep His Shed Organized and CleanNews
- Epstein Victim Described Intimate Details of Donald Trump’s Alleged Sexual Proclivities — Then Recanted: Court DocsNews
- Florida Teacher Found Dead on Turnpike Possibly Ejected From Moving Vehicle, Police SayNews
- Construction Crew Traps Car Inside Scaffolding After Owner Refused to Move ItNews
- Now You Can Play ‘Trivial Pursuit’ Online With an Infinite Number of AI-Generated QuestionsTech
- Canadian Cannabis Growers Have Destroyed Millions of Pounds of PotBusiness
- Samsung’s ‘Ballie’ Is a Rolling Robot Projector That Can Help Control Your HomeTech
- Cartel Drone Attack Kills Six in Remote Mexican Community: ReportNews
- Soccer Player Struck by Stray Bullet During Match From ‘Freak Hunting Accident’ in Nearby WoodsNews