A missile strike on a mail depot in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv killed six people, Ukrainian officials said Sunday.
A further 16 people were injured in the blast late Saturday, which is believed to have been caused by a Russian S-300 rocket, Kharkiv governor Oleh Syniehubov said on social media.
All of the victims were employees of private Ukrainian postal and courier service Nova Poshta.
In a statement, the company said that the air raid siren had sounded just moments before the attack, leaving those inside the depot with no time to reach shelter. It announced that Sunday would be a day of mourning for the firm.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described the strike as an attack on an “ordinary civilian object.”
“We need to respond to Russian terror every day with results on the front line. And, even more so, we need to strengthen global unity in order to fight against this terror,” he wrote on social media. “Russia will not be able to achieve anything through terror and murder. The end result for all terrorists is the same: the need to face responsibility for what they have done.”
Elsewhere in the Kharkiv region, three people were injured in Russian shelling on the city of Kupiansk, Syniehubov said.
- HIMARS: The new U.S. rocket launchers in Ukraine are making the Russians furious. But can they win the war?
- Russian Strike on Ukraine Cafe Kills 51, One of the War’s Worst Civilian Attacks
- 6 Killed in Russian Missile Strike on Zelenskyy’s Hometown
- ‘Dead’ Russian Admiral Appears Again After Ukraine Claimed He Was Killed in Crimea Strike
- Ukraine Strikes Russian-Occupied City Makiivka in Huge Fireball
- 16 Dead, Including Child, in Russian Missile Strike on Eastern Ukraine
The Ukrainian-held front-line city has been at the heart of fierce fighting as both Moscow and Kyiv push for battlefield breakthroughs amid the looming onset of wintry conditions.
Officials in southern Ukraine said Sunday that the Russian military had used a record number of aerial bombs over the country’s Kherson region in the past 24 hours.
Natalia Humeniuk, a spokesperson for the Ukrainian military’s Operational Command South, said that 36 missiles had been recorded over the area, with some villages being hit by several strikes.
In a report released Saturday, the Institute for the Study of War said that Russian forces could be diversifying the mix of missiles, guided bombs, and drones used in strikes on Ukraine. The Washington-based think tank speculated that the change could be part of an attempt to find gaps in Ukraine’s air defenses ahead of further strikes over the winter.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews
