Rachel Morin Murder Investigators Interview Key Subject in Hunt for Mom of 5's Killer - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Rachel Morin Murder Investigators Interview Key Subject in Hunt for Mom of 5’s Killer

A person questioned in Washington, DC, about Rachel Morin's murder is 'relevant' to their investigation and search a suspect, police said

Rachel Morin (left) was murdered on a popular hiking trail in Maryland. A man seen on camera at a home invasion in Los Angeles is the prime suspect.FaceBook; Harford County Sheriff's Office

More than eight weeks after mother of five Rachel Morin was killed along a hiking trail in Maryland, the investigation into her murder now spans to the nation's capital.

After analyzing evidence at the crime scene, Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler told News Nation investigators questioned someone in Washington, D.C., they believe is "relevant to this investigation."

They do not consider the person a suspect in Morin's murder, according to Gahler.

"It is not a suspect, but hopefully somebody who can point us in the right direction to identifying that person," the sheriff said.

"The investigators were working a lead," he also explained. "This was not the result of a tip."

Morin's body was discovered Aug. 6 near the Ma & Pa Heritage Trail — a favorite hiking spot for the mom of five — after her boyfriend reported her missing the day before.

DNA evidence found at the crime scene was subsequently linked to an unidentified man sought in a home invasion in Los Angeles earlier this year.

Surveillance footage from the L.A. incident, although primarily capturing the man from the side and back, led investigators to describe him as a Hispanic male in his early to mid-20s, approximately 5-foot-9 tall, and weighing 160 lbs.

Rachel Morin/FaceBook
The body of Rachel Morin was found near a popular hiking trail in Bel Air, Maryland, less than 24 hours after she was reported missing.Rachel Morin/Facebook

A Spanish-language website created by family attorney Randolph Rice and Morin's family was set up to showcase images and additional footage of the man, which has generated at least three new tips.

As of now, the Harford County Sheriff's Office has not provided any other updates on the investigation.

"There haven't been any new developments," Morin's brother, Michael Morin, told News Nation during an interview. "It's very, very frustrating."

Previously, it was also reported that the search had led investigators to Chicago shortly after Morin's murder.

While the police have not shared details with Rice, he recently told The Messenger that he believed they may be examining cell phone records and video footage as part of their efforts to solve the case.

He confirmed to The Messenger that an anonymous donor helped increase the reward money for information leading to Morin's killer to $30,000, just days after it had been raised from $10,000 to $20,000.

Anyone with information on the case is urged to call (410) 836-7788. Tips can also be sent to rmtisps@harfrodsheriff.org.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.