More than 100 pounds of cocaine headed for Belgium were seized in Peru by ant-narcotics police on Thursday. Hidden in 50 packages the size of bricks, the drugs had Nazi flags and swastikas printed on them, pictures shared with the Associated Press confirmed. Some of the packages were opened and also inscribed with the name ‘Hitler,’ Al Jazeera reported.
Peru National Police/Twitter
The discovery was made in the port of Paita, on Peru’s northern Pacific coast, in the air duct of a shipping container carrying asparagus. According to a police report obtained by the AP, it had been anchored in Ecuador earlier.
After discovering these packages, police searched more than 80 containers on the vessel.
While Peruvian authorities have reported finding cocaine hidden in brick packages before, the Nazi symbols are a first, according to The Guardian.
- Cocaine-Finding K9 Dog Sniffs Out Millions of Dollars Worth of Drugs Hidden in Boxes of Bananas
- Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters Says Nazi-Reminiscent Costume at Berlin Show Was ‘Clearly’ Anti-Fascist Statement
- Elementary School Removes Nazi References from ‘Sound of Music’ Performance
- Bob Marley Bag Conceals Cocaine Worth Nearly Half a Million Dollars on Jamaica Flight
- Fetty Wap Hit With 6 Years in Prison Over Major Cocaine Trafficking Rap
Peruvian officials estimate around 100 tons of drugs are produced in the country, with most going to Europe by sea. Peru is the world’s second-largest grower of coca leaf and producer of cocaine, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
--With Associated Press
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Indian Official Who Drained Reservoir to Retrieve Phone Claims He Had PermissionNews
- Murdered Cash App Founder Bob Lee ‘Threw Money Around Like Confetti,’ Says Party Scene Pal (Exclusive)News
- eBay Founder Donates to Defund the Police Causes While Investing Millions in Private Security Start-upNews
- Russia’s Largest Drone Strike on Kyiv Lasted Over Five Hours, Official SaysNews
- British Military Used Shock ‘Treatment’ on Gay Soldiers: ReportNews
- Boston Celtics’ Derrick White Hits Buzzer-Beater to Force Game 7 in Eastern Conference FinalsNews
- At Least 3 Dead, Others Injured in Shootout at Massive New Mexico Motorcycle RallyNews
- Elon Musk Yanks Twitter Out of EU Pact Aimed at Tackling Online DisinformationNews
- Judge Rules School District Can Bar Student From Wearing US/Mexican Flag Sash at GraduationNews
- Man Rails against Possible Short Sentence for Priest He Accuses of Molesting Him as a BoyNews
- ‘Malibu Sniper’ Convicted of Killing Dad Camping with DaughtersNews
- Florida Residents’ Strategy to Solve Growing Iguana Problem Scares NeighborsNews