Police Recently Closed Sex Abuse Complaint Against Charlotte Sena Kidnapping Suspect: Report - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

The man accused of kidnapping Charlotte Sena from a New York state park had reportedly been the subject of a recently closed investigation into the sexual abuse of a 12-year-old girl.

The case against Craig N. Ross Jr. was closed last month without any charges being filed, sources told the Times Union.

The incident was alleged to have involved a female family acquaintance more than a year ago, according to the paper.

Ross, 46, was arrested Monday in connection with the abduction of Sena.

The 9-year-old was the subject of an Amber Alert after she vanished while riding her bike in Saturday.

This photo provided by her family on Monday, Oct. 2, 2023, shows Charlotte Sena, 9, who vanished during a camping trip in upstate New York.
This photo provided by her family on Oct. 2, shows Charlotte Sena, 9, who vanished during a camping trip in upstate New York.Family photo via AP

Hundreds of searchers had scoured a nearly 50-mile area in the frantic hunt for Sena.

Police ultimately found her after searching multiple residences where Ross was known to live, including one located roughly 13 miles south from where Sena lived in the hamlet of Porters Corners.

Gov. Kathy Hochul said Monday night during a news conference that investigators were able to identify a fingerprint from a ransom note allegedly left by Ross.

Craig Ross
Craig Ross

He was charged with first-degree kidnapping with the intent to collect ransom during an arraignment early Tuesday morning.

Ross is being held at the Saratoga County Jail without bail. He is due back in court on Oct. 17.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.