Manhunt for Killer of Young Tech CEO Pava LaPere: 'He Will Kill and He Will Rape' - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Manhunt for Killer of Young Tech CEO Pava LaPere: ‘He Will Kill and He Will Rape’

The suspect, 32-year-old Jason Billingsley, is on parole after being released in October for a first-degree sex offense conviction from 2015

JWPlayer

Police issued an arrest warrant Tuesday afternoon for a 32-year-old suspect wanted over the death of a young tech entrepreneur in Baltimore.

Pava LaPere's body was discovered at an apartment building in Mount Vernon Monday morning, with police saying there was evidence of "blunt force trauma."

Jason Dean Billingsley, 32, is wanted for first degree murder, assault, reckless endangerment, as well as additional charges, police said.

Acting Police Commissioner Richard Worley warned in a press conference that the suspect is an individual "who will kill," and "who will rape."

"At this time we believe, we know he probably is, armed and dangerous," Worley added. "We ask implore residents to be aware of your surroundings at all times."

LaPere was reported missing earlier Monday, with officers saying she was found shortly after this. They said they could not confirm if the location she was found was her apartment.

A Forbes 30 Under 30 recipient, LaPere, 26, was described by her tech startup coworkers as a "visionary force."

"Her legacy will live on through the work we continue to do," EcoMap added in its statement earlier Tuesday.

Jason Billingsley
Jason Billingsley is considered armed and dangerous, Baltimore Police Department said TuesdayBaltimore Police Department

Baltimore Police Department held a press conference early Tuesday evening alongside Mayor Brandon Scott.

"It is really difficult to express the sorrow I have standing in front of you today," Scott said. "Pava was a very young, talented, devoted Baltimorean, someone who I had the opportunity to get to know over the past few years, who would help anybody that she would see.

"To have that life cut short by someone who has no care about anything other than harming people should sit deep in the stomachs of all Baltimoreans tonight."

Scott said the local community was vital in helping law enforcement catch the suspect.

Billingsley is a known repeat offender, police said. He was previously arrested in 2013, 2011 and 2009 for "multiple charges" including a sex offense, 2nd degree assault charges and robbery.

He is also a suspect in at least one other ongoing case, police said.

Mayor Scott said Billingsley should "never" have been out of custody and that cases like this happen too often.

"These cases impact people's lives for an eternity," Mayor Scott said. "Pava's family is going to be dealing with that trauma, that loss, for the rest of their lives. That is where the frustration comes in."

Ending the conference, Commissioner Worley said he had a message for the suspect.

"If you are out there watching, hopefully you are, every single police officer in Baltimore city, the state of Maryland, as well as the U.S. Marshalls are looking for you," he said. "We will find you, so I would ask you to turn yourself in."

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.