Nevada School District Seeks Restraining Order to Stop Teacher ‘Sickouts’
Parents are growing frustrated as their kids miss out on time in the classroom
After four Nevada schools were forced to close again Tuesday with teachers participating in a "sickout," the state's school district has turned to the courts to try and keep educators in the classroom.
As The Messenger reported last week, Clark County School District, just outside Las Vegas, was growing tired of staff participating in what it called "sickouts" connected to ongoing contract negotiations.
On Tuesday, Southwest Career and Technical Academy, Sig Rogich Middle School, Gwendolyn Woolley Elementary School, and Neil C. Twitchell Elementary School all turned students away due to a lack of licensed staff.
In response, the district announced that it was seeking a restraining order and an injunction to stop teachers from taking sick leave in this way.
"The actions of licensed educators have forced the closure of three CCSD schools and severely disrupted the operations of two additional schools through a targeted and coordinated rolling-sickout strike," the district said in a statement released Tuesday morning.
"The District decided to file the motion due to the escalating nature of the rolling sickouts that have been reported starting September 1, as there is no indication that they will cease without court intervention and injunctive relief."
Negotiations around teacher contracts have been underway since March, with Clark County Education Association saying Monday that members were "staying strong to ensure we get the contract we deserve."
- Judge Rules Teachers Calling in Sick, Forcing Multiple Nevada Schools to Close, an Illegal Strike
- Florida Seeks Restraining Order to Stop Mass Release of Migrants
- Teachers Arrested at Nevada School Board Meeting
- Texas Seeks Restraining Order Against Biden Administration’s New Border Plan
- Unexpected Teacher and Staff Shortage Shuts Down Nevada Elementary School
- A California School District Is Set To Build $122 Million in Housing To Lure Teachers
The CCE has previously denied involvement in any "sickout" organization.
Parents, frustrated with the disruption, appear to be placing blame on the school district.
On a post about the district's 24/7 contact service, commenters said it should be talking about the teacher shortage instead.
"Pay your teachers what they're worth. My child is missing school because you can't get your c*** together," one parent said.
- Epstein Victim Claimed Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin Went Kite Surfing on Private IslandBusiness
- South Carolina Couple Found Dead in ‘Extremely Hot’ Home: ‘Concerned With Why the Temperature Was So High’News
- Alabama Man Who Stripped Naked and Did Cannonball Into Bass Pro Shop Aquarium Was on Drugs: PoliceNews
- Checkers Ordered to Pay Thousands in Back Wages to Overworked Teens Who Were Clocked Out by Managers While Still WorkingNews
- Mystery Surrounds Abandoned 35-Foot Boat Found Washed Ashore at Los Angeles BeachNews
- Watch: ‘Tidy’ Mouse Helps Retired Mailman Keep His Shed Organized and CleanNews
- Epstein Victim Described Intimate Details of Donald Trump’s Alleged Sexual Proclivities — Then Recanted: Court DocsNews
- Florida Teacher Found Dead on Turnpike Possibly Ejected From Moving Vehicle, Police SayNews
- Construction Crew Traps Car Inside Scaffolding After Owner Refused to Move ItNews
- Now You Can Play ‘Trivial Pursuit’ Online With an Infinite Number of AI-Generated QuestionsTech
- Canadian Cannabis Growers Have Destroyed Millions of Pounds of PotBusiness
- Samsung’s ‘Ballie’ Is a Rolling Robot Projector That Can Help Control Your HomeTech
