Morgan State Shuts Down All Homecoming Events After Campus Shooting That Injured Five
'We unfortunately find ourselves navigating this tragic event during a time at which we should be celebrating,' the school president says
Morgan State University has canceled classes for the week and all remaining homecoming events including Saturday’s football game after a shooting on campus that left five people hurt.
Baltimore Police released a surveillance video late Wednesday that shows several people walking in a grassy area. They are seeking the identities of the “persons of interest” in connection with the shooting.
Police Commissioner Richard Worley said at least two people opened fire Tuesday evening during a dispute between two groups at the university's homecoming events, but the victims were likely not the shooters’ intended targets.
“Today, we unfortunately find ourselves navigating this tragic event during a time at which we should be celebrating,” University President David Wilson said in a message to the university community.
Wilson said the football game and the annual homecoming gala would be rescheduled until “the perpetrator(s) of this atrocity have been found and brought to justice.
- Classes Canceled, Homecoming Events Paused After Five Shot at Morgan State University; Shooter Still at Large
- On-Campus Shooting Disrupts College’s Homecoming Weekend Celebration
- Morgan State Shooting Marks 3rd Year in a Row Baltimore University’s Homecoming Was Marred by Violence
- Juvenile Morgan State University Shooting Suspect Arrested 10 Days After 5 Shot on Campus
- Morgan State Shooting Victims ‘Unintended Targets,’ No Arrests Made
- Watch: Dramatic Videos Show Police at Morgan State Searching Dorms Room-by-Room After Five Were Shot
The shooting happened just after a popular homecoming event where Mister & Miss Morgan State were crowned at the Murphy Fine Arts Center on the historically Black college's campus.
Police went room to room in a dormitory looking for suspects after the shooting and the campus was locked down for about four hours.
The lockdown was lifted shortly after midnight even though the suspects remained on the loose.
Videos posted on social media showed SWAT teams with guns drawn going into dorm rooms in Thurgood Marshall Hall, and ordering students to stand up and turn around.
Konnor Crowder, a sophomore from Baltimore, said he and his friends had been waiting for the coronation ball to start when they saw people running.
“First I was wondering what they were running for, then I was wondering where we should go,” he said.
Worley said Wednesday that the five victims, four men and one woman, are between the ages of 18 and 22. Their injuries were not life-threatening.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews