Over a Million Barrels of Oil Removed from Red Sea Tanker, Averting ‘Monumental’ Oil Spill Disaster
The UN mission unfolded amid a lull in the fighting in Yemen’s nearly one decade long civil war
The United Nations said Friday it had pulled off a sensitive mission to pump oil off a decaying tanker in the Red Sea, successfully diffusing a potential environmental and humanitarian time bomb and averting what would have been one of the world’s largest-ever oil spills.
International experts have been working since last month to move oil off the FSO Safer, a 47-year-old vessel, which was abandoned off Yemen’s coast in 2015, following the outbreak of civil war in that country.
The ship held some 1.14 million barrels of oil, or about four times the amount of oil spilled in 1989 by the Exxon Valdez along Alaska’s coastline. The Valdez spill remains one of the world’s worst environmental disasters.
By Friday, U.N. teams had moved more than 1 million barrels of oil from the FSO Safer and onto a second tanker that arrived in Yemen in July. The next phase of the operation involves stripping and cleaning the vessel’s tanks, which will be done over the coming two to three weeks.
“Years of neglect put the ship at risk of an imminent spill that would have damaged the entire Red Sea region and beyond,” U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said Friday, welcoming the completion of the first phase of the operation.
And although the road ahead remains complicated—with the conflict in Yemen yet to be resolved, questions persist over who will ultimately take ownership of the recovered oil—U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres said the mission had helped stem what could have been a “monumental” disaster, affecting people and the environment in and around the war-torn nation.
- Salvage Team Races to Stave Off Natural Disaster by Siphoning Oil From Decaying Abandoned Tanker
- UN Launches ‘Race Against Time’ Mission to Avert Red Sea Catastrophe
- Tensions Push Oil Prices Higher as Iranian Warship Enters Red Sea
- Oil Companies Are Forced to Weigh Safety, Extra Weeks of Travel When Deciding on Red Sea Journey
- Former US Colonel Calls Ukraine Sea Drones Used to Attack Russian Oil Tanker a ‘Game Changer’
- Russia Vows Revenge After Strike on Oil Tanker
The conflict, triggered when Iran-backed Houthi rebels attacked Yemen’s Sana’a based government in late 2014, had blocked salvage efforts for nearly a decade.
The region around the tanker is controlled by the Houthis, who had previously stood in the way of any rescue operation.
But recent efforts to reduce tensions between Saudi Arabia, which intervened in the conflict in 2015 on the side of Yemen's government, and Iran have helped bring about a period of relative calm. That in turn paved the way for a deal earlier this year under which the Houthis finally gave their nod to the U.N. mission.
U.S. and U.N. officials described the delicate operation as a race against time. The ship hadn’t been serviced in nearly a decade, and corrosion of the vessel from the exceptionally saline Red Sea had raised the possibility of a leak.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews