A landlord in Minnesota who was arrested and charged with allegedly setting fire to his own Duluth house, was blaring Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" when authorities responded to the blaze, police said.
When first responders arrived at the duplex May 18, they heard the 1989 hit booming from Travis Lee Carlson's upstairs apartment, the Duluth News Tribune reported.
Carlson, 37, was charged with first-degree arson on Tuesday.
The downstairs tenant called 911 to report being awakened around 3:30 a.m. by Carlson "smashing glass and breaking things," the newspaper said, citing the criminal complaint.
- Woman Charged After Car With Children Inside Catches Fire While She Was Allegedly Shoplifting
- Minnesota Mosque Fire Believed to be Arson, Police Say
- Andrew McCarthy Reunites With Demi Moore 38 Years After ‘St. Elmo’s Fire’
- Landlord Fatally Shoots Young Couple in Apparent Tenant Dispute
- Store Owner who Allegedly Shot and Killed Teen Fired a Gun at Suspected Shoplifters Before, Police Say
After about 20 minutes, the tenant said Carlson pounded on his door to say the "house was on fire."
A neighbor also told police that he had seen Carlson wearing a helmet and busting windows.
He also saw Carlson under his truck with gas cans, then running back and forth from the building before he saw "a flash like a fireball come from the upstairs apartment," the complaint said.
Investigators said they found a hole in Carlson's truck's gas tank, and a drill and gas can lids nearby, as well as traces from a "burned accelerant" and some wires pulled from an electrical panel, the complaint said.
The next day, Carlson was found with burn marks on his arms and legs. No other injuries were reported from the fire. The fire and damage appeared to be confined to Carlson's apartment.
Prosecutor Vicky Wanta said in court Tuesday that there may be "some mental health or drug-related concerns regarding the defendant's behavior."
It was unclear whether Carlson had representation.
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Fox News: Tucker Carlson Breached His Contract with New Twitter ShowNews
- New York Air Quality Hits Worst Level of Any Major City in the WorldNews
- Newly Discovered Dinosaur Species in Utah Believed to Be 99 Million Years OldNews
- Canadian Wildfires: How They Started and When the Smoke Will ClearNews
- Father of 4 Dies After Saving Son From Rip Current on Daughter’s BirthdayNews
- Juarez Offers to Pay Half the Cost of Bus Tickets Home for Migrants Gathered ThereNews
- NYC Suing 30 Other New York Counties Over Refusal to Take MigrantsNews
- Wildfires Increase Heart Attack Risk, Other Cardiovascular ConditionsNews
- Pride Month Plans Trigger Violent Brawl and Arrests at California School Board MeetingNews
- Woman Glues Eye Shut After Mistaking Nail Glue For EyedropsNews
- Yankees-White Sox, Phillies-Tigers Games Postponed for Air QualityNews
- ChatGPT Outperforms Alexa, Siri and Other Competitors in Providing ‘Expert’ Medical AdviceNews