Marine Taken Into Custody After Missing 14-Year-Old Girl Found in Barracks at Camp Pendleton - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

A 14-year-old girl’s family is claiming she was trafficked for sex after she ran away last month from her grandmother’s home in San Diego County.

She was found recently at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in Southern California.

A TV cameraman tapes footage of the sign at the entrance to Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base in California 21 June, 2006.
A TV cameraman tapes footage of the sign at the entrance to Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base in California 21 June, 2006.ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images

NBC News’ San Diego affiliate reported Thursday that the teenager went missing June 9 and was found in the Camp Pendleton barracks June 28 by military police officers.

Her grandmother reported the girl’s disappearance on June 13 and said that she had run away before but always quickly returned.

The girl also has learning disabilities, NBC San Diego reported. Her aunt alleged that the girl was sold to a Marine for sex.

An unnamed Marine was questioned by Naval Criminal Investigative Service investigators on June 28 about his connection to the girl.

No arrest has been made in the case, but the unidentified Marine was taken into custody.

"We can confirm that a Marine with Combat Logistics Battalion 5, 1st Marine Logistics Group was taken into custody for questioning by Naval Criminal Investigative Services on June 28, 2023," Cap. Chuck Palmer of Camp Pendleton-based 1st Marine Logistics Group, told NBC 7.

“The incident is under investigation, and we will continue to cooperate with [Naval Criminal Investigative Service] and appropriate authorities,” he added.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.