Israeli Lawmakers Run for Cover as Jerusalem Hit With Barrage of Rockets
Moment before the rocket barrage from Gaza, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had warned Hezbollah and Iran not to get involved
Israel was forced to evacuate its parliament in the middle of proceedings on Monday as Hamas fired rockets over Jerusalem.
The attack occurred shortly after President Isaac Herzog and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the Knesset at the opening of the legislative body's winter session.
At the same time, Hamas’ military wing, the Qassam Brigades, said on Telegram it had attacked Tel Aviv “with a missile barrage” in response to ongoing Israeli bombardment of Gaza.
Members of the Knesset, journalists and government workers crowded into a basement shelter after proceedings were abruptly adjourned as air raid sirens wailed over Jerusalem.
Explosions were heard over the city. There was no immediate damage report.
Hamas took credit for the Jerusalem blasts as well as rocket barrages earlier in the day on Ashdod, Beersheba and Ashkelon.
- WATCH: Worshippers Run for Cover at Western Wall as Hamas Fires Fresh Rocket Barrage at Jerusalem
- Hamas Claims Responsibility for Rocket Attacks on Jerusalem After Israel Bombs Gaza
- Dramatic Video Shows German Officials Running for Cover as Hamas Rockets Fly Over Israeli Airport
- Video From Israeli Hospital Hit by Rocket Shows Decimated Children’s Wing Strewn with Toys
- Israelis Sing National Anthem From Balconies Across Country At Same Time Islamic Jihad Promised Rocket Barrage
- Watch: Israeli Kindergarten Teacher Hauls 21 Toddlers Into the Bomb Shelter During Hamas Rocket Attack
Before the air raid sirens went off, Netanyahu said the colossal intelligence failures that allowed Hamas to attack Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,400 people, would be probed. An estimated 2,750 Gazans have died in Israeli bombing over the last 10 days as Israel prepares for a ground invasion to destroy Hamas.
“The reasons for the disaster that occurred will be investigated … and we have started drawing conclusions,” Netanyahu told the Knesset.
Flashing a warning to the Hezbollah militia in southern Lebanon and its sponsors in Tehran amid escalating exchanges of fire on Israel's northern border, Netanyahu said: “Don’t try us, you will be severely harmed.”
And the prime minister assured the Knesset that his government was working toward the return of nearly 200 hostages seized by Hamas and taken into Gaza. "We are relentless in this effort to bring back our brothers and sisters, men and women, children and babies," he said.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews