Israel’s Health Ministry Easing Process for Retrieving Sperm From Fallen Soldiers or Civilians
With a small window to retrieve viable sperm for later IVF use, legal barriers are being lifted as the war continues
Israel's health ministry is reportedly making it easier to retrieve the sperm of fallen soldiers and civilians before they are buried, with usual legal barriers removed.
The rules around posthumous sperm retrieval were updated by the Israeli government on Tuesday, but not officially announced.
The process allows the retrieval and cryopreservation - or freezing - of a deceased person's sperm to then use it in the future. Specialists have to test testicular tissue to make sure it is viable and can be stored.
Normally, the process is open to the spouse of a fallen soldier or civilian without the need for permission from a court, unless other immediate family objects. Parents usually have to go through a family court to achieve this.
In this latest update, that restriction has been lifted until at least November 30 as the war between Israel and Hamas rages on.
These restrictions were lifted "on the condition that they assume that filing a request with a family court may render it impossible to retrieve sperm in light of the time passed since the moment of death," the government website read. "Except in cases where the deceased's spouse or any other family member objects to the posthumous sperm retrieval, or in case of disagreement between the parents."
Doctors only have a short timeframe if the procedure is to be successful. The sperm is more likely to survive and be effective if it is retrieved within 24 hours of the man dying. There are no cases of a successful retrieval past 72 hours, the Israeli health ministry said.
- What Is Gaza’s Ministry of Health and How Does It Calculate the War’s Death Toll?
- Israeli Woman Who Learned Husband Was Dead on Live TV Begged Govt to ID Him So She Could Retrieve Sperm
- Alan Dershowitz Defends Gaza Civilian Death Toll: ‘Israel’s Record Better Than Any Country in Modern History’
- US Defense Sec. Loyd Austin on Gaza War: ‘This Is Israel’s Operation’
- Study Finds ‘No Evidence’ Gaza Ministry of Health Inflated Palestinian Death Toll in War
- Israel’s Health Ministry Issues Guidance on First Meal for Returned Hostages, Anticipating Malnourishment
The ministry has set up a 24/7 unit to deal with the number of requests and is working with four hospitals with sperm banks to notify families that they have this option.
Israel Defense Forces said Wednesday that 349 of its soldiers had fallen so far in the conflict, sparked by Hamas' attacks on October 7 which killed at least 1,400 people.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews
