Hundreds of Pro-Israel Protesters From Detroit Left Stranded by DC Bus Drivers in ‘Malicious Walk-Off,' Group's Head Says - The Messenger
It's time to break the news.The Messenger's slogan

Hundreds of Pro-Israel Protesters From Detroit Left Stranded by DC Bus Drivers in ‘Malicious Walk-Off,’ Group’s Head Says

Bus drivers scheduled to drive groups from Dulles to National Mall reportedly called out sick en masse

Thousands of people attend and hold posters showing hostages during the March for Israel on the National Mall on November 14, 2023 in Washington, DC. Roy Rochlin/WireImage

A “malicious walk-off” by some bus drivers hampered hundreds of members of Detroit’s Jewish community in their effort to join Tuesday’s pro-Israel demonstration in Washington, D.C., according to an official from the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit.

Representatives of that group and the Jewish Community Relations Council flew to the nation’s capital on Tuesday to take part in the March for Israel. 

The first hint of trouble came Monday night when the bus company the group had hired advised them that "they were having trouble" after some drivers called in sick, David Kurzmann, senior director of community affairs at the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit, said Tuesday, according to the Detroit News.

"They informed us ... that they had drivers, who, when they were aware of the assignment today, called in, more than a few, a number of drivers called in sick," Kurzmann said. 

The bus company — which Kurzmann did not identify by name — "committed to fulfilling the obligations for our group and we had all expectation that they would.”

But when members of the two groups touched down Tuesday morning at Dulles International Airport, they found that many would be without a ride to the rally.

"We have learned from the bus company that this was caused by a deliberate and malicious walk-off of drivers. Fortunately, many were able to travel to the march, and we are grateful to the drivers of those buses that arrived," Kurzmann said in a statement.

"While we are deeply dismayed by this disgraceful action, our resolve to proudly stand in solidarity with the people of Israel, to condemn antisemitism and to demand the return of every hostage held by Hamas has never been greater."

Of the approximately 900 people who traveled from Detroit for the demonstration, about 300 were affected by the bus shortfall, Kurzmann said.

Others managed to make it by cramming onto those buses that were available, or turning to ride-shares, one attendee said.

"We had to pack a lot of people on some of the buses," Ella Cohen, 19, told the Detroit News. "Some people had to sit on each other's laps and stand in the aisle. It was very hectic. I know that some bus companies were able to step in last minute and help us out, and some people also ordered Ubers to the march."

The march was held approximately five weeks after the October 7 Hamas terror attacks which saw approximately 1,200 people killed, over 200 more believed kidnapped and atrocities committed on unarmed civilians.

Since, Israel has responded with relentless airstrikes and a ground incursion targeting Gaza City. According to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry, over 11,000 people have been killed in Gaza, most of them also civilians. The United Nations’ chief on human rights last week accused both Hamas and Israel of committing war crimes.

The Messenger Newsletters
Essential news, exclusive reporting and expert analysis delivered right to you. All for free.
 
By signing up, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use.
Thanks for signing up!
You are now signed up for our newsletters.