George Washington University in Washington, has a brand new moniker for the school's sports teams — a move that follows criticism from students that the previous name was "offensive."
The GWU Colonials are now the GWU Revolutionaries.
"After a thoughtful and deliberative process, we are thrilled to announce that Revolutionaries will be the new moniker for the George Washington University," reads a statement from the school.
The announcement was made in a video boasting alumnus Chuck Todd, host of NBC's Meet the Press.
- Washington to Student Borrowers: Pay Up
- Washington Mayor and Congressman Have Tense Exchange About Statehood
- How FTX played both parties and almost won Washington
- Even after the FTX scandal, Washington is bamboozled over how to regulate crypto
- Washington, D.C., Transit Official Apologizes for Posting ‘Manspreading’ Crotch Shot
At least 500 students signed a petition calling for the teams name change.
"GW received approximately 47,000 points of feedback throughout its community engagement efforts, and Revolutionaries consistently ranked as the top choice throughout the moniker development process," the statement notes.
The move to change the nickname started back in 2018.
Students objecting to the name agreed it "has too deep a connection colonization and glorifies the act of systemic oppression."
"Revolutionaries are bold, they embody creativity and passion. Revolutionaries are change-makers, they’re not content with the status quo," offered professor Monica Ruiz.
There will be no change to the school's mascot, "George."
You are now signed up for our newsletter.
- Wildfire Air Pollution Levels Among Highest Ever in U.S. HistoryNews
- Kellyanne Conway Predicts Cornel West’s Run is Major Threat to BidenNews
- Ukraine Rushing Drinking Water to Residents After Dam CatastropheNews
- Fox News: Tucker Carlson Breached His Contract with New Twitter ShowNews
- New York Air Quality Hits Worst Level of Any Major City in the WorldNews
- Newly Discovered Dinosaur Species in Utah Believed to Be 99 Million Years OldNews
- Canadian Wildfires: How They Started and When the Smoke Will ClearNews
- Father of 4 Dies After Saving Son From Rip Current on Daughter’s BirthdayNews
- Juarez Offers to Pay Half the Cost of Bus Tickets Home for Migrants Gathered ThereNews
- NYC Suing 30 Other New York Counties Over Refusal to Take MigrantsNews
- Wildfires Increase Heart Attack Risk, Other Cardiovascular ConditionsNews
- Pride Month Plans Trigger Violent Brawl and Arrests at California School Board MeetingNews