Massachusetts Family Remains Stuck in Gaza: ‘It’s Getting a Lot More Dangerous by the Day’
The family had trouble getting clean drinking water and several of them were sick with the flu
A family from Massachusetts is still stuck in Gaza after the parents were approved to cross into Egypt, but their three children were left off the list.
Hazem Shafai, his wife and three children have attempted to cross the border five times, Hani Shafai, Hazem's brother, told local Boston station WCVB.
"It's getting a lot more dangerous by the day, and the supplies are very limited, and the aid coming across the border is extremely limited compared to the needs that exist," Hani said. "So you will see a lot of tension among the people trying to feed their families and get water and food from any available resources."
He told the Boston Globe that the family had trouble getting clean drinking water and several of them were sick with the flu last weekend.
Hani said the situation is in "dire need of a resolution" so Hazem and his family can cross the border.
“Nobody is going to just leave a 2-year-old, a 10-year-old and a 13-year-old behind,” Hani told the Globe. “These kids were born in the U.S., they’re citizens just like everyone else, to say ‘leave them behind’ is just inhumane.”
The Gaza region became consumed by conflict after Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7. Israel declared war the following day.
- Massachusetts Family Finally Allowed to Exit Gaza Together Amid Israel-Hamas War
- Massachusetts Police Suspend Search for ‘Armed and Dangerous’ Husband 10 Days After Wife’s Brutal Murder
- Massachusetts Travelers Who Tried to Dig Out After Getting Stuck in Colorado Snow Saved by Phone’s SOS Feature
- Massachusetts Family and New Jersey Relatives, Previously Trapped In Gaza, Now Safe In Egypt: Lawyer
- New Photo Released of ‘Armed and Dangerous’ Massachusetts Husband on Run After Wife Found Dead
- ‘Armed and Dangerous’ Massachusetts Husband Still Missing Two Weeks After Wife Shot in Face
Some Palestinians and foreign nationals were able to leave Gaza after Egypt partially opened the Rafah crossing on Wednesday. The decision to open the border was a Qatar-brokered deal between Israel, Hamas and Egypt in coordination with the U.S.
Hesham Kaoud, a Palestinian-American from Texas, was one of the citizens who made it safely to Egypt on Saturday.
The Rafah crossing is the only Gazan border crossing that is not controlled by Israel. Crossings controlled by Israel were closed following the Oct. 7 attack.
- WATCH: Video Shows Tornado Barrel Through Fort Lauderdale as Storms Pound FloridaNews
- Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper Calls Trump ‘Threat to Democracy’Politics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Takes Responsibility for Not Sharing Information on Hospital Stay: ‘This Was My Medical Procedure’News
- Texas Father Shoots Daughter’s Stepfather After She Accuses Him of Sexual Abuse: PoliceNews
- Arkansas Rescuers Dive into Sewer to Save Stuck Puppies Hours Before Huge SnowstormNews
- Toddler Run Over by Truck, Killed in ‘Horror’ Accident at Popular Family Vacation SpotNews
- New Body Camera Footage Reveals Moments Before Mississippi Police Shot 11-Year-Old During RaidNews
- US Olympic Swimmer Who Boycotted 1980 Summer Olympics in Russia Dies at Surf VenueNews
- Louisiana Officer Accused of Shooting Lover Police Chief and His Wife Was Fired From Previous PostNews
- Hamas Releases Video of Three Israeli Hostages Mistakenly Killed by IDF Troops Sending Messages to Loved OnesNews
- Donald Trump Jr. Wishes Everyone ‘Happy Fake Insurrection Day’News
- Hamas Announces Hostage Is Dead After Promising His Daughter He’ll Be BackNews
