Florida Woman Sues After Being Denied $90,000 Mercedez Benz Prize in Hole-in-One Golf Tournament
The woman was denied the prize because she was formally a registered professional golfer
Linda Chen of Orange County has filed a lawsuit against the organizer of a golf competition that promised its participants a Mercedes Benz if they got a hole-in-one.
According to the lawsuit obtained by the Miami Herald, Chen got a hole-in-one on the 11th hole at Isleworth Golf & Country Club in Windermere on May 22 and never received the $90,000 luxury car and its title.
The event was a fundraiser, "Fins on the Fairway," which benefits Nova Southeastern University Orlando. Competition organizers said the Mercedes E Class car was a prize for “amateur golfers only,” according to a complaint filed by Chen on Aug. 21 in Orange County.
But Chen said in the lawsuit the competition “was rigged.” According to exhibits from the lawsuit, Galvin emailed Chen’s attorney on June 14, saying that Chen’s prize had been denied because she was formally a professional golfer.
However, Chen’s complaint said she was a professional golfer over 15 years ago. Her complaint also says Chen has been officially registered as an amateur golfer with the U.S. Golf Association for over 15 years.
Chen sued Timothy J. Galvin, who the complaint says was one of the event’s organizers, his company Tournament Golf Events, Mercedes-Benz of South Orlando — which advertised the prize — and ACE Hole in One, a company that provided hole-in-one coverage for the tournament. She is seeking to recover the title of the car or its equated value of $90,000.
- Florida Woman Ejected from Golf Cart Dies After Crash with Pickup Truck
- Florida Retiree’s Hole-in-One Glory at Golf Course Leads to His Arrest in Connection With Beating Death
- Florida Man Arrested After Beating Driver With a Golf Club During Road Rage Incident
- Tiger Woods’ Son Charlie Wins Golf State Championship in Florida with High School Team
- WATCH: Tornado Hits The Links at Florida Golf Course
- Florida Woman Denied $10,000 Lottery Prize Due to Mistaken Debt Claim by State Officials
Chen accused Galvin of refusing to give her the car. According to the lawsuit, Galvin allegedly told Chen “she was never going to be able to claim the prize vehicle” and away.
Galvin said he didn’t deny Chen’s claim to her prize, but ACE Hole in One did, according to McClatchy news. He said after he spoke with Ace Hole in One, he was told “(Chen) was not eligible.”
The complaint says Chen is suing on several causes of action, including breach of contract.
- Couple Arrested in Missouri with Enough Fentanyl to Kill 52,000 People, Police SayNews
- Florida Roofers Traumatized After Finding Dead Baby in Trash Outside Apartment Building: ‘The Guys Were Shook’News
- Texas Hotel Explosion Has ‘Characteristics of Gas’ Eruption, Number of Injured Rises to 21News
- Tennessee 14-Year-Old Arrested for Spree of Violent Carjackings and Robberies During Holidays: PoliceNews
- Minnesota Hotel Shooting Kills 3, Gunman Also Dead After Shelter in Place OrderNews
- Epstein Victim Claimed Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin Went Kite Surfing on Private IslandBusiness
- South Carolina Couple Found Dead in ‘Extremely Hot’ Home: ‘Concerned With Why the Temperature Was So High’News
- Alabama Man Who Stripped Naked and Did Cannonball Into Bass Pro Shop Aquarium Was on Drugs: PoliceNews
- Checkers Ordered to Pay Thousands in Back Wages to Overworked Teens Who Were Clocked Out by Managers While Still WorkingNews
- Mystery Surrounds Abandoned 35-Foot Boat Found Washed Ashore at Los Angeles BeachNews
- Watch: ‘Tidy’ Mouse Helps Retired Mailman Keep His Shed Organized and CleanNews
- Epstein Victim Described Intimate Details of Donald Trump’s Alleged Sexual Proclivities — Then Recanted: Court DocsNews